GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Ride Reports & Meets (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   My first motorcycle ride on the highway (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4518)

Rookie Rider 07-21-2011 03:36 PM

My first motorcycle ride on the highway

It was interesting and woke me up (not literally). Pretty cool experience. Windy with trucks passing me, i only did 55 mph so i wasnt in a rush, but it was nice and i had to do it sonner or later. lol

jonathan180iq 07-21-2011 03:57 PM

Re: My first motorcycle ride on the highway

Dont be scared to get up in the upper 60s low 70s. Depending on which interstate youre on, you're much safer traveling closer to the speed limit.

Rionna 07-21-2011 08:20 PM

I have just begun to ride on the highway also and love getting a little speed on my bike. Just had my first night ride on the highway last night after bike night. It was great. Jonathon is right, my Beast was very comfortable at 65-70 and kept up with the other bikes I was riding with. The trucks blaring by are windy like you say, but I've begun to anticipate the gusts so it's bearable.

Rookie Rider 07-22-2011 04:19 PM

Yeah you guys are right, i should go faster

geezer 07-22-2011 06:32 PM

yea 65 is ok for the bike. but the faster you push this motor the less fuel milage your gonna get.

KrazeeMyke 07-29-2011 03:02 PM

Re: Re: My first motorcycle ride on the highway

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Yeah you guys are right, i should go faster

Go at the speed your comfortable at. ;)

ecr959 08-06-2011 09:55 PM

Hi Rookie Rider

I'm from your area. Tell me what highway you got on , tell me from where to where. Was it nighttime ? I'm gonna be doing alot of highway , my daughter lives in Staten Island, and my son is in Manhattan. I'm staying with her but I'm gonna get a room in Brooklyn very soon.

Rookie Rider 08-07-2011 02:14 AM

I rode on the BQE, and L.I.E, Both day and night on the queens side.

supersquid 10-04-2011 01:04 AM

The best analogy I've heard about riding on the highway is to think of it as a creek. If one section goes faster than the rest it causes a disturbance and all the water has to move, but if there's a rock in the way all the water has to move around it too. Forcing traffic to move around you like that is what gets you hit. Staying up with traffic is the safest bet, but I worry about pushing my 250 at 65-70 for a long period of time

mavrix 11-16-2011 02:15 PM

I went for my first ride on the highway this weekend. It was pretty short; like 5 miles or so from the on ramp in one town to the exit ramp at the next town. I got up to 70mph, but slowed down to around 68mph with traffic. A few cars passed me since most people are driving around 70mph and I didn't have any trouble with the wind/turbulence, although there were no big trucks passing me. There was wind/turbulence, but I've ridden on some windy days so I wasn't surprised by it.