GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What kind of Oil and Carb Clearner? (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4638)

Nightsbane 08-20-2011 07:19 PM

What kind of Oil and Carb Clearner?

What kind of oil and what brand of carb cleaner should I buy for my tuneup I am starting tomorrow?

blaine 08-20-2011 09:09 PM

Re: What kind of Oil and Carb Clearner?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightsbane
What kind of oil and what brand of carb cleaner should I buy for my tuneup I am starting tomorrow?

Two of the best are: Sea Foam or Berrymans B-12. :) :cool:

blaine 08-20-2011 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gz Rider
Quote:

For oil you can use "suzuki performance 4" 10-W40 for temps over -4 degrees F. The key is that this oil lubricates your clutch and you must put in the right kind of oil or it can cause your clutch to slip. I use only oil that has API ratings SH or SJ and Jaso rating MA.

Shell Rotella-T is a good oil to use,is Jaso rated, (safe for wet clutch) and is reasonably priced.
:) :cool:

Nightsbane 08-21-2011 05:10 AM

for someone that has pretty much zero clue about oil, I just want to know an exact brand and type, as well as the carb cleaner brand I had heard references before.

blaine 08-21-2011 08:12 AM

Quote:

for someone that has pretty much zero clue about oil, I just want to know an exact brand and type, as well as the carb cleaner brand I had heard references before.

The Shell Rotella-T 15w 40 or T-6 synthetic is used in a lot of different bikes.It is as good as the bike specific oils,& about half the money..It is a tough oil,as it is formulated to stand up to heavy-duty diesel use.It is used in a lot of high reving sport bikes,were the rpm's can be as high as 14000.
:) :rawk:

Water Warrior 2 08-21-2011 05:25 PM

Both bikes and the Ranger have Rotella-T in the engines. Cheap and it works. What's not to like ?

mole2 08-21-2011 06:23 PM

Just make sure it's not automotive oil with friction modifiers (most automotive oils). That will ruin your clutch. I stick with the motorcycle specific oils. I use Castrol synthetic motorcycle oil.

:)

blaine 08-21-2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gz Rider

Shell Rotella-T must not be made in 10W-40 or maybe it is but is more expensive? The temp range for 15W-40 is 3 degrees f and above while 10W-40 will cover you down to -4 degrees F.

I realize that the likelyhood of that 7 degrees making a hill of beans of difference is low but why not use the 10W-40 unless it is more expensive or unavailable.

The 10w40 is a synthetic blend,therefore is more expensive than the 15w40.But is still cheaper than a motorcycle specific synthetic oil.
:cool:

Nightsbane 08-22-2011 05:20 AM

Gotta say, that Berrymen's B-12 is magic! After dumping it in the tank on fill up it didn't take long to start noticing an improvement. I had never noticed anything lacking before, but she's running steadier, stronger, and more consistent than before. It's great stuff.

jonathan180iq 08-22-2011 07:57 AM

Quote:

Gotta say, that Berrymen's B-12 is magic! After dumping it in the tank on fill up it didn't take long to start noticing an improvement. I had never noticed anything lacking before, but she's running steadier, stronger, and more consistent than before. It's great stuff.

And you can buy 3 cans for the price of 1 can of SeaFoam. :)