GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Models/Manufacturers (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800 Starter issue (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5448)

mithuth 05-19-2012 10:06 PM

1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800 Starter issue

I have a 1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800. ~11K miles. I'm having trouble with the starter. Let me describe as best I can what it's doing/not doing.

Scenerio1: Bike in neutral, Clutch pulled in, kick stand up, emergency shut off in the run position, key on.
The starter just clicks but no attempt to turn the flywheel.

Scenerio2: Bike in 1st, clutch out, kick stand up, hold the starter button, rock the bike so it moves the gears a little bit, and then pull the clutch while holding the starter button.
Vroom, it starts right up.

I've checked the starter solenoid fuse, it was good, and the contact points on the starter, solenoid, and battery all seem clean. I'm lost as to where to go from here. I'm mechanically inclined with automobiles but clueless on MCs. Can anyone point out possible fixes?

Water Warrior 2 05-19-2012 11:47 PM

Re: 1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800 Starter issue

Only had that on a car but I might have the answer. The selenoid(sp) needs to be cleaned up. You probably have years of corrosion and dust preventing proper contact. It is a hit and miss thing and likely fixable without spending big bucks.

mithuth 05-20-2012 03:44 AM

Hmm, I was thinking similar and pulled connections. It looked pretty clean, but I'll take the wire wheel to it and see what happens.

I did find a starter solenoid for $19.99 shipped, maybe I'll eliminate that by replacing it right away and re-cleaning the contact points on all terminals going to it.

alantf 05-20-2012 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mithuth
and then pull the clutch while holding the starter button.

Have you checked the switch in the clutch lever? From the above description it's just possible that the switch is hit/miss.

Water Warrior 2 05-20-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:

and then pull the clutch while holding the starter button.

Have you checked the switch in the clutch lever? From the above description it's just possible that the switch is hit/miss.

DUH, why didn't I think of that. Good catch Alantf.

greatmaul 05-20-2012 05:59 AM

Quote:

Hmm, I was thinking similar and pulled connections. It looked pretty clean, but I'll take the wire wheel to it and see what happens.

I did find a starter solenoid for $19.99 shipped, maybe I'll eliminate that by replacing it right away and re-cleaning the contact points on all terminals going to it.

I think, and I may be wrong, that when they're talking about the solenoid being grimy and not making contact, they're talking about the inside part of it, not the external connectors. Inside, it's like a big electrical switch, that when it clicks, it sends the full battery current to the starter motor. If the insides are dirty, it might click but not make the power connection needed.

Of course, as others have mentioned here, motorcycles have all sorts of "in-between" switches that all need to be engaging properly for the bike to start: side stand switch, neutral switch, clutch lever switch, etc.

I'm not sure if it was one of those, though, that your solenoid would still click. It's been my understanding that if you don't pull the clutch, for instance, you get nothing when you push the starter switch, not the solenoid clicking.

I'm not much of a mechanic, though, and especially not on motorcycles.

greatmaul 05-20-2012 06:00 AM

Also, does it do this every single time? Like scenario 1 never fires and scenario 2 always fires? because the solenoid would be just as dirty either way. I'd try to limit the number of variables if possible.
The difference between the 2 scenarios is that
1. you're in gear
2. you rocked the bike
3. you pulled the clutch in while the starter switch was depressed.

So it's hard to tell which one of those is fixing the situation. Maybe try changing only one thing at a time, like being in gear only, or pulling the cluch while the starter switch is engaged, etc. Or maybe you've done that and you need to do all 3 to start the bike I'm not sure.

mithuth 05-20-2012 09:13 AM

I had no idea there was a clutch lever switch, I'll check into that.

As for the solenoid, I have not opened it to clean inside, only the external points. I will look into removing it and bench cleaning it. That sounds really simple to do.

As for frequency, it seems to be 9 out of 10 starts it just clicks (scenario 1).
Here's a few I tried but the bike had no change:
Bike in N, rocking, kick stand up: no start
Bike in N, kick stand down: no start
Bike in gear, rocking, clutch pulled: no start
Bike in gear, clutch out, rocking, pull clutch, push start button: occasional start
Bike in gear, clutch out, rocking, push start button, pull clutch: always starts

I'm leaning heavily towards it being that solenoid, so I'll try cleaning it and putting it back together.
If that don't fix it, I'll try replacing it.

Where is the clutch lever switch located, in the rubber boot up on the handlebar. or down on the ending somewhere?

A thought I just had, if the battery is weak/weakened or not fully charged, could it be sending not enough current to the starter until I rock the bike (alternator boosting the charge)?

alantf 05-20-2012 11:56 AM

One other place to check is the red cutout switch. This is often the cause of intermittent starts on the GZ. Everything is much more likely than a dirty solenoid. Never ever heard of this being a fault, before.

alantf 05-20-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

I had no idea there was a clutch lever switch,

That's why you have to pull in the clutch lever while starting. You are doing that every time, right? There is also a safety switch on the side stand. If you try to start up in gear, or move off with the sidestand down, the bike will not start/cut out.

mrlmd1 05-20-2012 01:31 PM

Check yourr battery voltage at rest - you should have at least 12.6-12.8V for a fully charged good battery. The combination of low battery voltage, dirty/corroded connections at the battery or inside the solenoid (from low voltage sparking) could give you the intermittent starts you are seeing.

dentheman 05-20-2012 03:47 PM

Most (all?) bikes have the clutch switch located where the clutch lever attaches to the grip, look for wires coming out of the grip area.

mithuth 05-20-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Check yourr battery voltage at rest - you should have at least 12.6-12.8V for a fully charged good battery. The combination of low battery voltage, dirty/corroded connections at the battery or inside the solenoid (from low voltage sparking) could give you the intermittent starts you are seeing.

I did think to check the battery this morning. 13.17off/ 14.3 running according to mr volt-o-meter.

I ordered a new starter solenoid tonight and will get a new relay tomorrow when I go pick up new oil and filter at the local dealer. It can't hurt to replace 10 year old electronics, especially if the previous owner was starting/running it on a dead/near dead battery.

I giggled after thinking about the clutch switch. I guess it's one of those things I never really thought about, but kind of knew was there since it reads the clutch position for starting purposes.
Kill switch, kick stand switch and clutch switch seem good and working properly. It's gotta be starter solenoid, relay, or the starter itself.

alantf 05-21-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

I ordered a new starter solenoid tonight and will get a new relay tomorrow It's gotta be starter solenoid, relay, or the starter itself.

Hate to tell you, but solenoid & relay are two different words for the same thing. Seems like you don't have much electrical knowledge, plus, you aren't listening to our replies. If you carry on guessing, you may, by chance, stumble upon the correct solution, but I fear that it's going to be an expensive learning curve, if you continue to swap parts willie nillie, without testing to find out exactly which part is faulty. After spending vast amounts of money, you may still find that it's something as simple as a loose connection that you've missed. :)

mithuth 05-21-2012 08:09 AM

The starter relay is mounted behind (towards the rear of) the stater solenoid. I'll get you a picture. They are two separate parts.
After looking at both, they do not appear to come apart where I can get inside to check/clean them. Replacing them for only $20 is a cheap way to completely eliminate that as an issue. Money well spent in my opinion. I was reading on here that some other countries charge upwards of $90 for a relay, maybe this is where you think I'm over spending?

I cleaned and checked all connections at the battery, at the solenoid, and at the starter itself. I added dielectric grease to prevent any future corrosion. All connections were clean and shiny. I took a small file and gently sanded all contacts to be sure no film/corrosion had built up to cause faulty connections.

I AM listening to suggestions, and so far everything has checked out that was suggested. Is there something you feel I've overlooked?

As for my experience, I haven't rewired a house or anything that vast but I've completed a circuit or two in my day.

mithuth 05-21-2012 08:11 AM

Two separate parts.

Starter relay
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...h/c6ac05b6.jpg

Starter solenoid
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...h/57b7f32d.jpg

alantf 05-21-2012 10:48 AM

A much cheaper way is to use a meter. That way, if you use the resistance setting across the heavy duty contacts of the solenoid, while applying 12v to the coil,you may save $20. What I'm getting at, is that it's no use guessing at what MAY be faulty. A methodical test is the only way to go. :)

alantf 05-21-2012 11:04 AM

[attachment=1:32gvok0r]img071.jpg[/attachment:32gvok0r]BTW, something weird here. Like I said, it's the same thing. Even the parts drawing shows it as one unit. I include a drawing of the starter circuit.

dentheman 05-21-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

The top photo does not look like a motorcycle starter relay to me. The bottom one does. And why would there be TWO?

Did you buy this bike new?

alantf 05-21-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dentheman
The top photo does not look like a motorcycle starter relay to me. The bottom one does. And why would there be TWO?

Thanks for confirming what I've been trying to get over to this guy. :2tup:

alantf 05-21-2012 03:05 PM

Just realized- He's talking about an 800cc Marauder - not the 250 that most of us ride - so we've been looking at the wrong drawings. Seems that this might well be the relay that's fitted to this bike, not the one that's fitted to ours. :??:

mithuth 05-21-2012 03:06 PM

I'm 99.9% sure it's factory.
Mine's a 99 Marauder and it's the same exact setup as my friend's 2000 Intruder. The relay and the solenoid are separate pieces, with the starter relay (top pic) mounted right behind the solenoid (bottom pic).

I did some work on the bike today and the issue is resolved. The previous owner hadn't done an oil change (I'm guessing, in a LONG time) and the oil in it was thick. I'm not sure he even had the right oil in it. I put in 2.5qts of Valvoline 10-40 4-stroke MC oil and a new Napa gold filter. The bike started right up and continues to start without issue now. All I can figure is the thick sludge-like oil was gummin' up the works and not allowing the starter to do it's job.

Problem solved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf
Just realized- He's talking about an 800cc Marauder - not the 250 that most of us ride - so we've been looking at the wrong drawings. Seems that this might well be the relay that's fitted to this bike, not the one that's fitted to ours. :??:

I had a feeling we had a miscommunication somewhere.

alantf 05-21-2012 03:34 PM

Still slightly confused - it's marked as a starter relay control. Seems that it's not a relay, but a relay controller. Can't understand what this may be - still, we said not to order parts until you definitely knew what was faulty, didn't we? :2tup: Glad you've got it fixed.

mithuth 05-21-2012 03:48 PM

Ehh, I'm a Jeep owner. If you saw my pile of "just in case" spare parts, you could probably build a jeep or two. lol

Having a few relays and "what-nots" around never hurts.

dentheman 05-21-2012 05:19 PM

Well, I learned something!

Water Warrior 2 05-21-2012 07:07 PM

Got a feeling the bike should take more than 2.5 qts of oil. Carefully check the oil level.

mithuth 05-22-2012 12:36 AM

It says 1700ml on the side of the case next to the oil fill plug, add a little for filter change, and 2.25-2.5ish put the oil between the hashes in the window while running and sitting level.

Water Warrior 2 05-22-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

It says 1700ml on the side of the case next to the oil fill plug, add a little for filter change, and 2.25-2.5ish put the oil between the hashes in the window while running and sitting level.

While running !! I doubt that is correct. The engine should be off and the bike held vertically to check the oil level. The easiest and safest is to sit on the bike and use a little mirror on a telescopic stick( auto parts stores have them)after it has been shut off for 3 minutes. You can do major damage internally with too much oil. With luck you haven't blown oil up into the air filter and soaked it.
The later 800cc engines must have a greater capacity, that is why I questioned the amount you put in. Lynda's 800cc V-twin Suzuki holds 3600 milliliters of oil with a filter.

dentheman 05-22-2012 02:01 AM

I think it would be to your benefit to pay some $ and order an owner's manual for your bike. A service manual would be even better, but will probably cost more.

Or do as I did before I got my service manual. Do google searches for oil change for your bike, and other maintenance as needed. Also, YouTube will show a lot of how-to's, such as oil and filter changes.

Water Warrior 2 05-22-2012 07:35 AM

Just Googled your bike. Learned something new too. I never realized Suzuki used a belt drive on anything other than the 650 LS/S-40. I guess you won't be needing chain lube.

mithuth 05-22-2012 07:54 AM

You see, there's a LOT of misinformation our there regarding the vz800 marauder and I've spent quite a bit of time sifting through false info before doing anything. There was apparently a transition period for the marauder where they changed some of the starter solenoids from an old style to new, there were multiple setups where they used a canister oil filter like mine, and others where there was a filter with two o-rings internally. It feels like a sherlock holmes mystery every time I want to do something to the bike.

What i've learned so far: Mine is chain driven, external oil filter (canister like a car), new style starter relay and solenoid, and I'm missing my tool try under the seat that is supposed to cover the battery.

Back to the oil: Sitting level, engine off, approx 1700ml + another approx 400ml of oil put the level just a hair above the bottom hash marks, and when the bike is started the level drops for just a second and once the flow levels out, it's right between the upper and lower marks. the friend that came over and lent me a hand for my first MC oil change said it's perfectly fine where it's at. Though he did suggest that since the previous oil was nasty and a mess that I change the oil and filter again in a few hundred miles just to be sure all the burnt up sludge gets out.

I'm not saying anyone here has suggested anything wrong, it does however seem like the marauder was a piecemeal bike for Suzuki and they sort of threw whatever they wanted into the bike at a whim.

Water Warrior 2 05-22-2012 03:30 PM

I think you should be looking for a service manual soonest. The bike will be less of a puzzle.

mithuth 05-22-2012 04:24 PM

I'm watching for a PDF version in my Internet travels.

shoppersplace 05-21-2017 07:58 PM

Hitting with a hammer

Lately, I have been hitting my starter with a hammer to get it to work. I cannot find any 2001 starters online, and the rebuild kit did not show a solinoid inside. Is there a solinoid inside the starter? Thanks

blaine 05-21-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoppersplace (Post 87714)
Lately, I have been hitting my starter with a hammer to get it to work. I cannot find any 2001 starters online, and the rebuild kit did not show a solinoid inside. Is there a solinoid inside the starter? Thanks

Nope.....Sounds like sticking brushes.