GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Beginners (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Big Man Little Bike (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6954)

gtfoss1986 03-23-2014 04:43 PM

Big Man Little Bike

Hello all,

I'm sorry if this has been posted before, or earlier. I've been getting the itch to motorcycle for a long time now. And now that I finally got the funds saved up I'm going to get a bike. I do a crap ton of research on anything before I buy it, but looking at motorcycles has to be one of the hardest as everyone is so opinionated, but what better way to get to the source of information than a fan based group on a specific model. I bought a 2009 Yamaha zuma last year with 0 miles on it in March 2013. It was still in the crate :), I love my peppy little two stroke in town and it does 48 with me on it. I put 1,600 miles on it when I stored it for the winter in October.

I have been out shopping and found that I want to start out on a 250, a few sites and people told me that I need something bigger being 6ft almost 300 pounds. The dealership I bought my zuma at was the nicest they told me to only buy on what I am comfortable on, and if that means a 250 than so be it, they didn't look down at me for wanting one which is why I put a reserve deposit down on a 2009 GZ250 with 2,100 miles on it and my price would be $1,800. It looks pristine, and I am waiting for warmer weather to test it, plus I trust these guys not to sell me crap as they know I am a repeat customer.

My issues are, will I be putting undo stress on this motorcycle with my size, I actually felt very comfortable on it but I worry about the machine?

Can it handle my weight as far as speed for hwy? I want to go up in Door County as I live in Green Bay WI which is about 45 mins of hwy at 65 mph and about 45 mins of hwy at 55 mph? will I damage my engine?

Are bigger guys a laughing stock on smaller bikes, it didn't really feel small on me at all?

Anyone here have experience with this?

Any help would put my mind to ease, I appreciate the feedback whether positive or negative, and sorry to make this first post so long and boring.

Thanks

alantf 03-23-2014 05:56 PM

Hi there. With your weight, and wanting to do 65MPH for long stretches would seem to be putting a lot of stress on the bike. I'm sorry to say that I don't think this is the right bike for you. I reckon that you should be looking at least for a 500cc bike. 170 pounds and town riding is what this bike is designed for. Even for a lighter person, highway riding means the need for a bigger bike, plus, at 65MPH you haven't much left if you need to get out of the way of a truck in a hurry. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :ride::tdown:

mole2 03-23-2014 07:46 PM

I don't know if you can afford it or not but Harley Davidson came out with a new for 2014 500cc street bike. Might be worth taking a look at. The price seems fair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTm4AhwGaj0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDVJtzvuuqM#t=14

:)

grasshopper 03-23-2014 07:46 PM

I have owned a 2001 gz250 and my wife and I both rode together on it all the time. our combined weight is about 320 pounds. it did top out about 65 mph though. I'm 5'10" and felt comfortable. I never had any major problems either. I did move up too a bigger bike (Honda magna vf750c) to get interstate speeds and passing ability. At your size I would also recommend a bigger bike. The gz250 may only give you 20 more mph than your zuma.Remember you control the throttle so just cause it is bigger doesn't mean you have to go faster. I do believe you would be happier that you invested in a bigger bike from the beginning. I would definitely see if I could transfer my deposit to a bigger bike. I hope this helps you out.:tup:

Water Warrior 2 03-23-2014 08:22 PM

Hmm, you may be pushing the envelope a bit with a GZ. Are you familiar with the Suzuki S-40(Savage 650)?? It is a slightly larger size bike with a 650 single cylinder engine. Basically the GZ's big brother in many way. Still not a rocket by any means but likely just right as a first bike for you.
Spend some time doing test sits on various bikes to get a feel for them. There are a lot of older 500 and 600 twins out there that would work nicely too.
Primarily you want a bike that you feel comfy on. Find a few and then research them on the net. Name the bike and add FORUM after it. Works like a charm. Don't spend much time on forums that are concerned with loud pipes and chrome. But do get at least an introduction from the members and read between the lines.
My choice is Japanese bikes because they are cheaper with no real exotic designs that cost an arm and a leg to repair if something breaks. Parts are readily available too. Ebay when all else fails. Please keep us updated.

gtfoss1986 03-23-2014 09:10 PM

Thank

Thank you for the info guys, ya HD is way to much :( they do have a few Kawasaki's and Yamaha's and Suzuki's in the 600 to 800 range, thank you for the post on the throttle, you are correct I am by no means a crazy driver, I have 3 seasons of EVOC and 5 years of SMITH under my belt, it the other crazy divers you gotta watch for. I will look into this when I can test ride other bikes, I just feel that the 500and up bikes are to top heavy for me to really learn on. But doesn't mean I won't try them.

grasshopper 03-23-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoss1986 (Post 78526)
Thank you for the info guys, ya HD is way to much :( they do have a few Kawasaki's and Yamaha's and Suzuki's in the 600 to 800 range, thank you for the post on the throttle, you are correct I am by no means a crazy driver, I have 3 seasons of EVOC and 5 years of SMITH under my belt, it the other crazy divers you gotta watch for. I will look into this when I can test ride other bikes, I just feel that the 500and up bikes are to top heavy for me to really learn on. But doesn't mean I won't try them.

Try some bikes that have a low seat. my magna seat is only 28 inches from the ground (low center of gravity) and feels like my gz250 did. The Honda magna is 200 pounds more weight than the gz250 and I got used to that very quickly. most of the extra weight is because of the bigger motor. even when my tank is full it feels good and controllable. Like WW said try a few bikes out. Good luck.:tup:

gtfoss1986 03-31-2014 09:32 PM

Test Drove it?

I just wanted to follow up with you guys. I test drove the GZ250 tonight as well as Vn500. Buell blast 500 and a virago 250. I fell in love with the GZ. It was very forgiving compared to the blast. It was more nimble than the VN 500 and far more comfortable than the virago. It had plenty of power and the clutch is very forgiving. I got it up to 60 with a 20 to 30 headwind and 70 is were I said enough. I wanted to say thank you for this forum as I will be using it while enjoying my gz. Are there any issues I should keep an eye on for 2009 model? I can't seem to find any so far. Thanks again

Water Warrior 2 03-31-2014 10:14 PM

Congrats on the bike. How many miles on the bike? Do you have a service/maintenance record? The care and feeding of a GZ is pretty simple but it must be done. Ride Safe.

mole2 04-01-2014 01:23 AM

Congrats on your new ride. Ride safe.

alantf 04-01-2014 04:33 AM

The thing to watch on the GZ is the carb. Make sure you add some carb cleaner to the fuel every three or four fill ups. A gunged up carb seems to be the most common fault on this bike. Also. don't forget, when switching off the engine, to not turn the key all the way to the left. This locks the steering but puts the rear light on. The correct position is one click before full left. To lock the steering but without tail light. You might also get a spray can of contact cleaner, and spray it into the red cut out switch, the clutch safety switch, and the side stand safety switch, as these frequently jam up. :tup:

grasshopper 04-01-2014 08:49 AM

Post up some pics of your new ride. Congrats!:clap:
Enjoy it and ride safe!:cheers:

gtfoss1986 04-01-2014 09:18 PM

Thanks

It has 2343 miles on it. As far as service it was purchased through a dealership and well maintained. Thanks for carb cleaner tip any recommendations on brand names? I work at a store that can get chemicals and tools so hopefully a brand I have in stock. I will get you guys some pics when its nice out and you can see it shine. I will be using the forums also to learn all I can about this wonderful fun machine.

mole2 04-02-2014 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoss1986 (Post 78770)
It has 2343 miles on it. As far as service it was purchased through a dealership and well maintained. Thanks for carb cleaner tip any recommendations on brand names? I work at a store that can get chemicals and tools so hopefully a brand I have in stock. I will get you guys some pics when its nice out and you can see it shine. I will be using the forums also to learn all I can about this wonderful fun machine.

I use Seafoam. I also put Stabil in whenever I fill up. I do that with all my engines.

gtfoss1986 04-05-2014 09:33 PM

Dealership

So I had the down payment and rode the bike the dealership has been slow. In the meantime I got the chance to test drive a 2001 gz250 with 5483 miles on it. The bike is in wonderful condition a little rust on the chain but overall nice bike for 1400. I will let you guys answer this. Am I better to wait for the dealer to get me a loan for a 2009 with 2400 miles on it for $2,400 or am I better to pay this guy 1,400 it comes with saddle bags windshield and battery tender. The guy sounds good and trustworthy he said he put his two kids through on it and thre last one is wanting to upgrade? How much to get this thing looked at by a mechanic? Also I'm afraid now if I go this route the local dealership will screw me with service and future purchases. Thanks guys I appreciate the help and comments.

Water Warrior 2 04-06-2014 12:03 AM

I can't tell you which bike to buy but..............If this is your first bike you don't want to spend a lot on it and then drop it a couple times. And you will more than likely. It happens to all of us. If you get the cheaper bike you will have more funds to do any maintenance and needed parts. Both bikes will need new tires, that is a fact if they both have the original rubber on them. Any tire over 5 years is due for replacement even with lots of tread. The 2001 will likely need a valve check/adjust. The 2009 will need one by the end of the season if not sooner. See where I'm going with this?

I was in the same situation with the latest purchase and opted for an older bike(1983)or a 2004 with minimal miles on it. Both would have needed at least $1000 spent on renewing tires, fluids, general maintenance and assorted stuff. I saved myself a lot of cash with the older bike and feel fine with a bike that is more than old enough to vote. Besides I get to tinker for a few weeks to get it to fit right and be mine.

gtfoss1986 04-06-2014 08:15 AM

thanks ww

I was leaning towards that direction. I was planning on 500 dollar mechanic look over. I downloaded shop and owners manual. But that will take time And I want to make sure it is good operating condition initially. I will however work on my own motorcycle because I know that is the best way to learn all about. Sooooooooooo. I'll be grabbing it today and I will upload the photos. Can't wait for 11am central time. Thanks again guys.

gtfoss1986 04-06-2014 04:43 PM

bit the bullet got my ride

5 Attachment(s)
Well its a 2001 with 5234 miles only one owner. Please see pics

gtfoss1986 04-06-2014 04:47 PM

more pics

3 Attachment(s)
More pics

raul10141964 04-06-2014 06:23 PM

It's like my same year and color

Water Warrior 2 04-06-2014 06:59 PM

Oh my goodness. Your bike is a wreck.................send it to me soonest.

Seriously think you got a fine bike. It looks almost brand new and my fav GZ color with the pinstriping on it. After an oil and filter change to go with a valve check you will just need rubber replacement.
Take some time to adjust the hand/foot controls to fit your body. Lube everything that moves and it will be even better. The price is just fantastic for the condition of the bike. :tup::clap::clap:

gtfoss1986 04-06-2014 08:03 PM

good deal

It included saddle bags and windshield and battery tender junior. New battery last year. I'm saving funds for new rubber. I lubed the chain tonight as it needed it. I'm headed tomorrow after work to get oil and element to do an oil change. Otherwise its very nice. I made my first rookie mistake tonight. I put seafoam in the gas tank and took off to head to the gas station. Pulled up flipped out stand got off and proceeded to fill. Filled her up got back on turned it over tried to put into gear she was a little sticky but I wiggled the shifter and bam in 1st. She muffled out. Found neutral and redid the process she snubbled out. I was like omg wtf.... Oh I am a dumbass. Kickstand was down lololol. I hope I didn't do damage wiggling the shifter but she road back nice. As for idle adjustment if it is running high will the bike smell more of oil? I adjusted it when I got back at idle to just above thumping now sounds good. Thanks guys

Water Warrior 2 04-06-2014 09:03 PM

Sticky shifters are easy to fix. It is likely the shifter linkage itself. Just squirt a little chain lube into the rubber booties(2)where the shifter linkage lives. The linkage is also adjustable in case it is too high or too low for your boot. One end is reverse threaded to allow the adjustment. Loosen the locking nuts and turn the shifter rod a wee bit while watching for up or down movement of the shifter itself.

gtfoss1986 04-06-2014 09:30 PM

Valve Adjustment / check

You guys keep mentioning this. Since I probably want to get this done asap probably in a week or two, anyone know if this is a lengthy process or do i need a professional to do it. I can do my own oil changes and lubrication however I am no carb master by any means. Anyone know or close to an estimated cost for this by a motorcycle mechanic? USA lol I know Canada and Europe is a little different ;). :shrug:

And is it alright to commute to work and back roughly 20 miles a day... I know i live far from work lololol... until I get the valve check / adjustment done?:???:

Water Warrior 2 04-07-2014 02:22 AM

A valve/check and adjustment is usually about one hour by the book. The shop will need the engine to be cold to do the valves. Drop it off one day and pick it up the next. Or if you are in the right area drop it off in the morning and pick it up after work. Quite a few members do their own valves successfully but I opt for a professional to do the job so I don't create a bigger job by really messing things up. It is a talent I developed early in life.
Carbs are very simple overall and there are some very talented carb gurus on the forum to walk you through almost anything short of a direct missile strike.

gtfoss1986 04-07-2014 08:14 PM

Cost

Just found a Valve check / adjustment is 119$ so that's not bad :). Okay I have another wonderful insightful questions peeps. As I'm riding along I like to down shift approaching a stop. Occasionally when I near second and also going into first i feel the and kinda hear a chain sound in my clutch? like a larger version of a bicycle chain switching gears. Is this a normal sound / feeling or is it something i need to get looked at?

gtfoss1986 04-07-2014 08:16 PM

Oil Change

BTW got my 2 quarts of oil and filter tonight after work tomorrow I will perform my oil change :). I'm a sucker and I'm using the Suzuki oil :( I know I will change it up soon enough but for 2 quarts and the filter it was only $15.00 so that to me isn't bad. And then some more :ride::ride::ride:

Water Warrior 2 04-08-2014 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtfoss1986 (Post 78867)
Just found a Valve check / adjustment is 119$ so that's not bad :). Okay I have another wonderful insightful questions peeps. As I'm riding along I like to down shift approaching a stop. Occasionally when I near second and also going into first i feel the and kinda hear a chain sound in my clutch? like a larger version of a bicycle chain switching gears. Is this a normal sound / feeling or is it something i need to get looked at?

You might be downshifting at too high a speed for the gears to mesh properly. Try shifting at a little slower speed for the gear you are down shifting into. You might also blip the throttle just a moment before down shifting when you pull in the clutch. It takes practice to get the timing right so don't get discouraged with an occasional grinding. After you develop muscle memory things will be smoother and more natural feeling.

Just remember there are no stupid questions when it comes to riding and wanting knowledge to be more informed about your bike or riding skills. We can supply a lot of answers but most of us agree with a proper riding course and reading Proficient Motorcycling by David Hogue. An onsight riding instructor will do wonders for your safety and skills.

gtfoss1986 04-08-2014 08:45 PM

oil change

Well I changed my black gas smelling oil tonight. It still had a little copper/caramel color left. What a simple wonderful little time with my bike. I polished it tonight and cleaned her up. When the oil was drained placed new filter put her back together added about a quart and a half oil ran it for a bit to check for leaks looked at oil lvl had to add a little more waited for contents to settle and at the appropriate level. I'll take more pics tomorrow. I enjoy my little cruiser guys :)

jonathan180iq 04-09-2014 09:43 AM

What's the carb issue again? WW is right - we can walk you through pretty much anything.

There is also a Valve check How-To on the site. I haven't looked to make sure the photos transferred over with the forum swap but it was pretty informative and contained a link to the original posting on the interwebs.

gtfoss1986 04-09-2014 08:33 PM

smoke

So this morning my bike smoked white some for about 4 minutes until I turned off choke? Didnt smell bad just like exhaust. Tonight after drive home from work I pulled it into garage I smelled burning oil I had smoke coming off what I believe to be the exhaust pipe leading out of the carb. I didn't see any dripping oil? Could this be residual oil on exhaust from my oil change? Mind you my drive to work is 4 miles and 10 minutes lol. I'm just worried about my first bike:(. I have since turned my bike on and off and let it ran for almost 5 minutes cannot get it to smoke ? Oil level is good might be a little high? But on kickstand oil is just barely visible. Thanks guys for your input. If I'm annoying you let me know.

raul10141964 04-09-2014 09:51 PM

if you splash some oil on the exhaust pipe will smock until all the oil is burn
May smell like popcorn