GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bobber (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1935)

dan_ 01-18-2009 09:53 PM

Bobber

A while back I read a post about someone wanting to turn their GZ into a bobber.. Well I was screwing around on Ebay and found this GZ Bobber for sale.. Its pretty cool looking.

JWR 01-18-2009 10:23 PM

Re: Bobber

That seat could be an improvement vs stock... :tongue:

music man 01-18-2009 10:30 PM

That seat IS stock, the stock back seat, i looked at that a few days ago, looks like some bike they drug off the scrap heap.

patrick_777 01-18-2009 11:36 PM

If you look at all the pictures on that auction, there's barely any piece of that bike that isn't rusted out in some place or another. The stock pillion would definitely not make the bike any more comfortable.

Water Warrior 2 01-19-2009 02:34 AM

Obviously a dry weather bike. You would need a wet suit to ride in the rain.

alanmcorcoran 01-19-2009 03:44 AM

I think this is a good litmus test (or maybe Rorschach?) for...

"You might be a modder if.... that bobber looks 'cool' to you."

I've done the windshield thing, and I could probably see my way to removing the pillion, and perhap adding some bags and an afermarket seat, but I prefer the out of the box look to this one. They had a flat black painted "Midnight" Strat when I was looking, but I just felt that the shiny chrome, was so nice and, well... shiny.

The flat black paint looks like a lot of "restoration" projects you see on the freeway, sporting the forever grey primer, missing bumpers and trim look. If it was a rescue from the junkyard, I suppose it is a plus that it is back in action at all.

Re the half fender on the back: "road" bicycles don't have fenders either and, if you're riding in the rain, you pretty much have some kind of rain gear on anyway.

Are those "knobby" tires or do they just look that way?

Dupo 01-19-2009 11:08 AM

I think its pretty cool.

The only thing i don't like is the back end. The only way a shortened fender looks good is when you lower the rear to the tire. That and i'd change the seat for something more custom that would go up the fender just a bit to keep your butt in place.

I really like what they did with the exhaust though.

Love it when people go 'out of the norm'.

patrick_777 01-19-2009 11:33 AM

eBay auction

mrlmd1 01-19-2009 11:54 AM

Like said already, lots of rust on the frame, and on the chain. Maybe the whole thing was rusted before the paint job to hide it all. Poor prep. Any maintenance done on this bike?
Doesn't wrapping the exhaust lessen the heat dissipation and make it run hotter? Was this done to hide more rust?
And only 2500 miles 'till someone did this?
Doesn't look bad though except for needing a new seat, that flat pillion can't really be too comfortable and keep you from sliding around.
Could be OK for the price so far if it runs well, but watch out for what the front tire kicks up in the front of the bike.

patrick_777 01-19-2009 12:14 PM

Instead of putting clubmans or sportbike bars on, it looks like they just pushed the bars forward.

I like the look of a good bobber, but past just a cursory glance, this really looks like a total POS.