GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Models/Manufacturers (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Toying with new bike idea (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3566)

Water Warrior 2 08-22-2010 12:47 AM

Toying with new bike idea

Have been toying with the idea of a new cruiser to replace the Vstrom. For any members in the Greater Vancouver Region, do you know where I can find a dealer(s) that have a Suzuki C-50SEC and or a Yamaha Star 950 Touring model ? Going for a ride to see one or two new bikes would be fun and answer some questions that websites and sales folk can't answer online or over the phone.

alanmcorcoran 08-22-2010 03:51 AM

Re: Toying with new bike idea

He's got New Bike Fever! (I have a bit of it as well... Trying to fight it off.)

mrlmd1 08-22-2010 08:27 AM

Why you looking to switch? (both of you).
What's wrong with the Vstrom or why do you want a cruiser now? Is that not comfortable on long trips?
And AC - why are you not happy with the Strat? Too big, uneconomical?
Or isit just the itch for a change for you both?

alanmcorcoran 08-22-2010 02:43 PM

I probably wouldn't get rid of the Strat. It is too big and uneconomical, but I didn't buy it with economics as my primary concern. It ran like a beast on my recent trip and handled some of the most amazing roads/paths without killing me. But I'm interested in possibly trading the GZ for an "adventure" or dual purpose bike. Saw some KTM's that looked pretty neat and, of course, a lot of BMW's. The only two bikes I've ridden are at the extremes of weight/power. The GZ is too underpowered for touring and isn't suitable for fire roads, etc. The Strat is awesome on anything paved, but I don't trust my skills on it in dirt and if i dropped it out in the woods I'd be screwed. And, I guess I like having the distraction of thinking/planning for a new distraction.

Water Warrior 2 08-22-2010 03:28 PM

Nothing wrong with the Vstrom, it is bullet proof and runs like a champ. I am just getting to the point where a taller bike is too much to climb up on and with it's tall center of gravity I live in fear of a drop. Not as strong as I used to be anymore. The 50 series cruisers may be heavier but with the right crash bars they will roll right back up on 2 wheels with little effort. This I know from experience.
As for the 950 Yamaha I don't know too much about it but it is a strong contender under the 1000 cc mark. More $ but I won't rule it out till I at least see one in person. Come to think of it, Kawi makes a 900 cruiser too. Shouldn't rule that out either.
Just want to gather some info and do eye-balling, maybe a ride if possible.
Forums for each and every different bike are such a wealth of info that an informed decision(if I make one)should be a lot less of a gamble.

mrlmd1 08-22-2010 06:37 PM

With so many different (good) choices out there for a new cruiser, you may not get another bike for quite a while 'till you make up your mind. See, sit on, ride as many as you can, that should take at least 6 months. AC has a much easier choice I think, smaller range of bikes to look at. more similarities between the choices, just another different toy to have fun with.

alanmcorcoran 08-22-2010 06:48 PM

Any of you guys ever have a KTM?

Easy Rider 08-22-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
He's got New Bike Fever! (I have a bit of it as well... Trying to fight it off.)

I saw a new BMW 1200 touring bike today.
REALLY snazzy.....really.
:poke2:

Moedad 08-22-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran

Me too, although I wonder if it ever really goes away.

GZ Jess 08-22-2010 07:53 PM

I had new bike fever too, but now I'm happy. I know you don't want to go 1100 but I really like the way my V Star sits and handles. I think it is a very easy bike to get used to.

Good luck looking and researching, that is one of my favorite things about a change LOL.

Jessica