GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   2 problems dont know if its normal (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5255)

jack-_-hammer 03-28-2012 02:10 AM

2 problems dont know if its normal

On my old 600gsxr On a cold night or a summer day it would start right away, So just out of curiosity Is it normal for my Gz250 on a cold morning to take a while to start i usually have to put the choke which i know that's normal but i have to press the power button 5-7 times is that normal? Another thing is when i'm riding once the bike is warm. Is it normal for the bike to lose power while i'm on high revs? it usually does it 1st gear 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear once i get to 4th and 5th i dont really notice it. Just curious Previous owner had the bike sitting for 3 months. I once left my gsxr sit for 6 months and when i started the bike i didnt notice anything different. My friend advised me to use some carb cleaner i'm probably going to do that tomorrow.

alantf 03-28-2012 04:35 AM

Re: 2 problems dont know if its normal

Yup...........Carb cleaner is your best bet. For some reason, Suzuki put the crappest of crap carbs on the Gz. Once you get it running properly, you'll find that you'll need to add carb cleaner to the tank every few fill ups, to keep the carb at peak performance. :2tup:

jonathan180iq 03-28-2012 08:24 AM

I concur.

Just add carb cleaner and see where that leaves you. It's a common issue. Small passages and just a little bit of varnish or other gas tank trash can lead to some head-banging issues.

If the cold starting problem persists or gets worse, then you need to look into a valve adjustment.

Road_Clam 03-28-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf
For some reason, Suzuki put the crappest of crap carbs on the Gz.

There's nothing wrong with Mikuni BS carbs, they are an excellent performing carb. The reason GZ's run so lousy, is not the carb, but the carb's EPA compliant lean jetting.

Road_Clam 03-28-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack-_-hammer
On my old 600gsxr On a cold night or a summer day it would start right away, So just out of curiosity Is it normal for my Gz250 on a cold morning to take a while to start i usually have to put the choke which i know that's normal but i have to press the power button 5-7 times is that normal? Another thing is when i'm riding once the bike is warm. Is it normal for the bike to lose power while i'm on high revs? it usually does it 1st gear 2nd gear and sometimes 3rd gear once i get to 4th and 5th i dont really notice it. Just curious Previous owner had the bike sitting for 3 months. I once left my gsxr sit for 6 months and when i started the bike i didnt notice anything different. My friend advised me to use some carb cleaner i'm probably going to do that tomorrow.

Sounds like you are experiencing upper rpm lean out. Also sound like there is some blockage in the main needle jet. There is also a "questionable" vacume line connection that recieves vacume from the carb to the fuel petcock tap. If this connection at the fuel tap is "loose" the diaphram inside the fuel valve will not remain fully open and also cause upper rpm fuel starvation.

alantf 03-28-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road_Clam
The reason GZ's run so lousy, is not the carb, but the carb's EPA compliant lean jetting.

Gotta disagree :) My European bike doesn't have the lean jetting, but I had all the problems associated with the carb, when I first got the bike (NEW!!!). A few doses of fuel additive later (I can't get carb cleaner, over here) & it ran like a different bike. Never ever had these carb problems on my other bikes, with different carbs. Don't even know what make the other carbs were, because I never had to touch them.

jack-_-hammer 03-28-2012 11:50 PM

Is there a specific carb cleaner you guys recommend. I may have to take her to the shop.

blaine 03-28-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jack-_-hammer
Is there a specific carb cleaner you guys recommend. I may have to take her to the shop.

Two of the best are,Berrymans b12 and SeaFoam. :) :cool:

jonathan180iq 03-29-2012 08:39 AM

Berryman's is 1/3 the price of SeaFoam unless they are running a special and you can get SeaFoam 2 for 1 sometimes.

Rionna 03-29-2012 07:31 PM

How do you use the SeaFoam and should you use it even if you're not having any problems for preventative maintenance?