GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Other Models/Manufacturers (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   DIY Saddle Bag Mount Project for my new bike ^^; (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2423)

BusyWeb 06-09-2009 09:45 PM

DIY Saddle Bag Mount Project for my new bike ^^;

Hello, here is my last weekend project.
DIY Saddle Bag Mount.

I tried to get some steady saddle bag mount for my weekend touring.
So that I could hold more, havier, or bigger luggages for it.
And lowering the center of mess for the windy road...
Today, there were some winds on my commuting; very short though, it gave me better feeling against wind.
Bigger(warmer) sleeping bag, camera tripod, some folderable chair, and etc....
After some more test riding, I like to paint or change to the Steel or Aluminum tube for the final assembly.

Link for the slide show.
http://picasaweb.google.com/busyweb/FZ6 ... 5232005698

[picasa=busyweb:57vmjx9t]5344806800676232993[/picasa:57vmjx9t]

Thanks

Water Warrior 2 06-09-2009 10:04 PM

Re: DIY Saddle Bag Mount Project for my new bike ^^;

That is a slick solution for bag supports. I admire anyone with the patience to do this kind of creative modding on a bike. If you are thinking of changing the material you might also consider using pop rivets instead of nuts and bolts. This would make the whole assembly look very professional as well as never needing to check for loose nuts and bolts on your connecting elbows and T's. :2tup: :2tup:

BusyWeb 06-09-2009 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior
That is a slick solution for bag supports. I admire anyone with the patience to do this kind of creative modding on a bike. If you are thinking of changing the material you might also consider using pop rivets instead of nuts and bolts. This would make the whole assembly look very professional as well as never needing to check for loose nuts and bolts on your connecting elbows and T's. :2tup: :2tup:

Yes, I may do change material...
Actually, I put some right weight wood rod inside my stainless tube to increase some strength.
*** Some solid Steel Tube and Welding service which I could not do myself; no tools which are exp...
And, I actually bought some rivets but could not do until my measurments are absolutely correct.
ha ha ha,
After final good assembly with correct size, I found that my drilling size is far bigger then the rivets will hold.... ha ha ha, stupid me ^^;
Thanks for your advice...
I will consider to change tube material when I feel that my setup works fine after some test riding with my saddle bags on.

Water Warrior 2 06-10-2009 02:29 PM

Busy, we learn by doing things. You have shown us what some thought and planning can do. I would never have thought about wooden dowels to strengthen the tubing and preventing it from crushing when you tighten the nuts and bolts. Can't wait to see the finished product. :rawk:

alanmcorcoran 06-11-2009 07:02 PM

You might also try PVC pipe and glue. Doesn't sound very strong, but if you can get the right specs, you can build furniture out of it. It's cheap, lightweight and easy to work with. Unfortunately, it is often only available in "sprinkler system" size, but it exists as small as 1/8" diameters.

BusyWeb 06-11-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
You might also try PVC pipe and glue. Doesn't sound very strong, but if you can get the right specs, you can build furniture out of it. It's cheap, lightweight and easy to work with. Unfortunately, it is often only available in "sprinkler system" size, but it exists as small as 1/8" diameters.

Hello, Mr. Alan.
Glad to see you here again....you have not been active lately here??

You got me once again... ha ha ha
When I was in the Home Depot, I actually bought PVC pipe setups too.
But the size that you said doest not exits on there.
I bought the size of 1/2'' diameter, that was the smallest ones available in there????
And was/is little thick for my needs.
If I found 1/8'' size, I might tried with it first.
Are you sure 1/8'' size is available for small quantities???
BTW, how's your bike...

alanmcorcoran 06-12-2009 02:12 AM

Biz, if you look online you'll see specs for as small as 1/8". I think 3/8" might do it if the walls are think enough. But I have no idea where you can buy it - maybe pool supply or fisk tank store? Google is your friend. Or maybe Bing.

I've checked in pretty regularly, but I don't ride the GZ anymore, I'm not a modder, don't do my own repairs or maintenance, and I've at least moved from newb to novice - so I generally don't see many threads to contribute to. It seems that many of the folks that were on here originally have all moved on to bikes other than the GZ, and, not being on the GZ anymore myself, it's naturally of less interest now. I guess I also got a little tired of the backbiting every time I did post something.

I do enjoy reading of your exploits though!

New bike is good. I ride it most every day, but I had to put some of my plans for longer rides on hold. An opportunity to play in a four piece orchestra for a show came up and I'm practicing whenever I am not working. Show opens in July and runs through early August. Then I can get back to wasting serious time on the bike. I ride back and forth to work most days, and I was riding 30-40 milers to area coffee shops to audition singer songwriters for a while. Yesterday I rode all the way down to San Diego and back (about a 200 mile round trip - business related.) Closing in on 3500 miles on the Strat. Love it on the freeway! It's really hard to talk too much about riding the Stratoliner compared to the GZ without pissing people off or getting lectured about how stupid I was to get into a big bike and blah, blah, blah, so, I just keep it to myself and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Even after 3500 miles, I still get a shit eating grin whenever I hit fifth gear and open up the throttle. It's quick, smooth, nimble, handles good, easily holds clothes for an overnight, rides like a '60's Buick, not too loud, shifts great, brakes great, starts easily, runs perfectly, goes real fast, nice big shiny headlight, built in windshield. Only complaint is I gotta go to the gas station pretty damn often. But I've got it down to about a three-four minute drill.

Please keep posting about your adventures. I promise as soon as I take a noteworthy trip I will put up some photos.
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/2984/81465765.th.jpg

Moedad 06-12-2009 01:38 PM

Quote:

An opportunity to play in a four piece orchestra for a show came up and I'm practicing whenever I am not working. Show opens in July and runs through early August.

Hey, send me details about the show, we might want to catch a performance!

BusyWeb 06-14-2009 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Water Warrior
needing to check for loose nuts and bolts on your connecting elbows and T's

I replaced all the regular nuts with Lock-Nuts which one of the hardware store men suggested.
After replacing to the lock-nuts, it seems more steady at movements and holds with good tightness.

I tried to find some good size steel tube, but there were none for my purpose on the local hardware store...um..

Today, I made some extended test riding (150 miles) with my saddle bags on the bike.
To get some good test, I choose the coast-line where I expected some strong wind on the road today; and was some windy.
Result was pretty satisfactory for me.
There are enormous improvement against wind; I think that lowering saddle bags (with some good load) do good job for me.
No more sailing-effect against side or cross wind.... Happy with it.
I felt that I was riding some big-heavy crouser bike,
rear tire was stick into the road surface; may be my new tire do the jobs; amaizing feeling.
Even at the corner with high speed, it gave me more confidence at leaning on the windy conditions.

I may need some more test with Full Loads on the bike... for the mounting strength.
I want to keep this current setup for a while as I like it and do the jobs, until I got some major defect... ha ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:

An opportunity to play in a four piece orchestra for a show came up and I'm practicing whenever I am not working. Show opens in July and runs through early August.

Hey, send me details about the show, we might want to catch a performance!

Yes, Mr. Alan.
Let us know about it......

alanmcorcoran 06-15-2009 04:42 AM

Biz,

Show is "Hair", opens July 10 @ Chance Theater in Anaheim Hills. See www.chancetheater.com.

(Not for kids.)

Where'd you go for the 150 miler?