GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Member / Looking to Buy A 250cc (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1866)

Jerry 12-16-2008 12:28 AM

New Member / Looking to Buy A 250cc

Hi - After a 26 year riding absence I am looking for a 250cc to get reacquainted with the sport (had a 1980 Honda 400 Hawk before). I am looking at a 2002 GZ 250 tomorrow. Any thoughts comments about what year might be preferred to another with these bikes? Also, comments about the GZ 250 compared to a 1996 Yamaha Virago I am interested would be appreciated. Thank you! - Jerry (ps - I am in Los Angeles so if there is anyone selling let me know). Thanks again.

Easy Rider 12-16-2008 09:17 AM

Re: New Member / Looking to Buy A 250cc

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry
I am looking at a 2002 GZ 250 tomorrow. Any thoughts comments about what year might be preferred to another with these bikes?

The GZ is basically unchanged all the way back to 1998 or so.
Compared to the other 250's the GZ has:
A bigger gas tank (longer range)
Fatter tires (better handling, I think)
A bigger, meatier look.

In this case, the Virago (which is a good bike too) is about 12 years old. It is sure to need more maintenance than the GZ......like new tires. The price should reflect that.

Only YOU can really tell which bike is right for YOU !! :2tup:

Moedad 12-16-2008 01:12 PM

Welcome, Jerry! There are a few of us GZers here in the LA/OC area.

Jerry 12-16-2008 11:53 PM

Thanks Moedad and Easy Rider. I postponed looking at the bike until this weekend due to the rain. - Jerry

jberejik 01-10-2009 10:11 PM

Hi Jerry

I looked at them both myself. The Yamaha sounds better - that's an important consideration for some. I think the GZ is a bit more comfortable for my size (about 5'10). Both have decent power. In the end, the GZ just felt better suited to me - not a very helpful comment, I know., but that's probably the best way to make any choice. I can tell you that I have been absolutely thrilled with the GZ. It's been rock-solid reliable and fun.

Anyway, best of luck on your search.

Water Warrior 2 01-10-2009 11:30 PM

GZ 250 : Larger appearance on the road. Larger tank, tires and front fender. Proven bike.
Virago 250 : V-twin, sounds better but louder, skinny looking in my opinion, might be slightly more maintenance hassle with 2 cylinders. Proven bike.
Rebel 250 : Smallest rider room overall, all have a funky 1st gear in tranny, Proven bike. Probably the most popular overall.

All three are older technology that works and works well. Great 1st bikes and best to learn on. Many never get recycled to another rider b/c they are great to keep and enjoy for what they do best. All are relatively well priced and economical to ride. Parts availability is generally decent but little aftermarket farkles compared to larger bikes.