GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Random Ticking... (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2827)

Canuck 12-19-2009 11:03 AM

Random Ticking...

Hey Guys,

I was out running erronds yesterday, once i was done i hopped on the GZ and when i pulled the clutch in and pressed the ignition button it made a click sounds and nothing happened with the bike except the 'click'.

I tried to push start the bike failing to make the turnover... so just for kicks i decided to try to start it normally and bada bing..bada boom ! it fired up...
Is this a story of a problem to come..

I had a ford ranger a few years back and the starter would act up.. doing the same thing... click click click "COME ON!!! click click... VROOOM VROOM....

Should i look at getting a new starter motor?? Dont wanna be forced to leave my dead bike on the side of the highway stranded if it decides not to fire up or the battery dies trying to get lucky...

frempath 12-19-2009 11:35 AM

Re: Random licking...

My first thought would be a low battery. You were at a point where you didn't have enough power to turn the engine until the electrolyte got shaken about a bit when the bike was moved. Check the electrolyte levels, battery condition, connections, and power generation status. Then move on to the more expensive possibilities if you have to.

frempath

patrick_777 12-19-2009 08:27 PM

Check the battery charge and terminals for any corrosion.

Water Warrior 2 12-19-2009 09:07 PM

What they said. Keep it simple because it probably is.

Canuck 12-20-2009 12:59 AM

Re: Random Ticking...

So a temporary fix is to roll bike and employ the push start method but just so that it makes a generator type of sound and then hit ignition and it fires up... Why the click sound? what is causing it to click and not make the sound as if it is trying to turn over?
the clicking is coming from the box underneith the 2 fuses boxes..

frempath 12-20-2009 02:15 AM

The clicking is the starter solenoid. This is a relay that allows a lot of power to go to the starter in one blast. It always clicks when it engages, you just can't hear it over the engine when you have the power to turn the engine. You probably need to get a charger and put a charge on the battery regardless. The bike will be a lot happier without struggling with a low battery.

frempath

Easy Rider 12-20-2009 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canuck
So a temporary fix is to roll bike and employ the push start method but just so that it makes a generator type of sound and then hit ignition and it fires up...

No, I expect that is just luck, of sorts. You are probably turning the engine just enough that it is OFF the compression stroke and you are giving the starter and weak battery a "running start" and it is then able to get past the resistance of the compression.

Get your battery charged/tested/replaced.......like the newbie said.
Welcome. Sounds like we have another seasoned veteran in the club.

Canuck 12-20-2009 12:17 PM

Thanks fellas, Hopefully its nothing more then an undercharged battery...

Ill put the battery tender/charger on and if it keeps happening ill get it tested... and then start looking at the relay switch, solenoid etc..

Thanks All

Canuck 12-21-2009 12:22 AM

Update..

I charged the battery and whether it was a lucky try it fired up on the first go with choke on 3/4

however i came home... to grab something forgot and when i hit the ignition again.. Click click...then i roll it back in 1st to get that "generator" sound try to start it and it works...

so what needs replacing or checking? has anyone else ever had this problem ?

mrlmd1 12-21-2009 08:46 AM

You have identified your problem but have not taken the proper steps to solve it.

Get your battery fully charged and then get it load tested, it may not be any good. That is the first thing to get checked out, not anything more exotic, and that is the only way to tell if a battery is up to snuff.
And your battery tender may not be giving the battery a full charge depending on it's output and length of time you had it on. You may need a higher (2amp) charge for a longer time if it's totally dead.
If you do wind up buying a new battery, be warned - if you get an AGM battery, which most of them are for this bike, these MUST BE FULLY CHARGED UP BEFORE INITIAL USE or it will fail after only a few starts of the bike. Do not just take the battery from the dealer and install it onto the bike without putting it on a charger first, regardless of what the dealer says.