GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Performance (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   engine dry on brand new bike (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3032)

Krazy Kraut 04-01-2010 09:25 PM

engine dry on brand new bike

Hi Everybody!
Well, i bought my GZ around end of June last year. I have' t had much time to ride (due to kids), so i only had about 250 miles or less on it at the time (which was around 1 mos ago). When i was going to ride, my hubby checkd the oil and we noticed, that it was dry and only had maybe a 1/2 quart in!!!!!! My question is: Is that normal? I have NEVER heard of a brand new bike, with that low mileage on it, needing oil already!!! Please give me feedback, but at least i would know how to change the oil now!!!! LOL
Any help is appreciated, you guy's rock! :rawk:

:whistle: :shocked:
Krazy Kraut

blaine 04-01-2010 10:49 PM

Re: engine dry on brand new bike

If there was oil in the sight-glass dont panic.These bikes only hold 1400 ml or 1.2 quarts when full.It is normal for engine to use oil until it is broke in .Thats why first service is at 600 miles.If you change your own oil it will be normal to see metal shavings in first oil change.Hope this helps.Good luck.Ride safe!

alanmcorcoran 04-02-2010 01:16 AM

How exactly did he determine there was only a 1/2 quart of oil? Did you fill it up from there? (If so, you may have over filled - can you see an oil/no oil break in the glass?)

(Also, how did last June migrate to about 1 month ago? When did it have 250 miles on it - last June, or now? If it has over 600 [now] you are due for a change.)

There's a ton of info on here about how to change the oil (it's not too difficult, but you should probably get some oil filters and some sets of the two "O rings" if you are going to do it regulary. Google "Bike Bandit.") Basically, there is a plug on the bottom that drains the oil, you can optionally change the filter by removing the oil filter cover, and then you fill it back up in the usual manner. There is a lot of discussion on what oils people use, esp reg vs synthetic, but probably the main thing to avoid is oil with friction additives - they apparently make the clutch slip.

patrick_777 04-02-2010 01:49 AM

Checking the oil properly is also important. If it's still on the sidestand when you're looking at it, that's wrong.

Krazy Kraut 04-02-2010 03:32 PM

Hi!
No, i didn't have the bike on the stand, i had it upright. We added about 3/4 quart (according to the bottle). The bike NOW has 262miles on it, we bought it new with 0 miles. the reason why i said one month ago, cuz i don't get much riding time, so at the time of the check the mileage was 250 miles or a little less! I do check it every other ride, but to see it that low so sudden, was a shock to me. I checked the oil again today, and it was at the very bottom of the sight window! I have no problem changing the oil, due it on my vehicles, but should i even change it? So, if i can even see a little oil, it will be okay? Don't want to ruin my baby!!! Already getting negelected too much! LOL
Thanks for all your help
Krazy Kraut

alantf 04-02-2010 03:43 PM

If it's any help, when it's on the side stand (& after standing overnight, so the oil can drain down to the bottom) I can see oil, just at the bottom of the sight glass. As I get hold of the bike & move it to upright, you can see the oil come up to nearly fill the sightglass. It's always done this, so that's how I check the oil level before every ride. In 15,000 km (nearly 10,000 miles) I've never had to top up (with an oil change every 5,000 km) :)

patrick_777 04-02-2010 04:25 PM

Kraut, your best bet is to change the oil, whether or not you change the filter until the 600m mark is up to you.

Then you'll know for certain how much is actually in there. It should be just 1300ml or just under a quart and a half.

alanmcorcoran 04-02-2010 05:15 PM

It is possible that the dealer forgot to check/fill the oil when it was sold. And it's fortunate that you caught it when you did. My bike was "delivered" with turn signals not working, mirrors not fully installed and a couple of other minor issues. Not a huge deal, but galling when they charged me $150 for "safety check." I've ranted on here before about the extreme variation in dealer service department competence. In short, competent mechanics are the exception rather than the rule at most CA dealers. (When you find a good one, maintain the relationship!)

I think it's more likely they never filled it than you have developed some sort of catastrophic leak. Nonetheless, I would monitor the levels carefully for the next 250 miles and look for oil leaks or excessive smoke coming out of the pipes.

Easy Rider 04-02-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krazy Kraut
Hi!
I checked the oil again today, and it was at the very bottom of the sight window! I have no problem changing the oil, due it on my vehicles, but should i even change it? So, if i can even see a little oil, it will be okay?

***NO***
If it used/leaked that much oil in just 15 miles, there is a PROBLEM.
Call the shop and let them check it out under warranty.
Mine went down to "half" only after about 1,500 miles......so yours is using 100X too much oil.

Krazy Kraut 04-02-2010 08:27 PM

OK!
Realy dumb question: Should i check it cold or hwarm/hot?
Here is the deal, when i checked it earlier, it was at the very bottom of the sightwindow. When i just checked it now (a friend was wanting to take it around the block), it was at the fuel line (with it beeing cold). I'm just gonna call the dealer and see what is up. It's driving me crazy, once i run it it's at the very bottom line!! maybe i'm just not loking right, but i was sitting on the bike, with another biker looking at the window. When i do it by myself, then i sit on the bike upright and lean over to see the window. I will check it again tomorrow and see what's up.

Thanks for evcerybodies input, we'll figure it out, i'm sure. I'll keep you posted

Ride hard and be safe
Krazy Kraut