GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Discussion (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Texas helmet law proof of motorcycle medical insurance. (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3159)

dentheman 04-29-2010 04:28 PM

Texas helmet law proof of motorcycle medical insurance.

Texas has recently passed a law that requires a motorcycle operator and passenger to have a proof of medical insurance card that states motorcycle accidents are covered by the insurer, if the operator or passenger are not wearing a helmet. I just read a working paper by the TX Department of Insurance that specifies the layout of that proof of insurance card, it is quite specific, even including the pitch of the lettering the insurer must use to print such a card. I am working with the TX DPS Motorcycle Division and the TX Department of Insurance to get an exemption from this requirement for military and military retirees since we are insured for any accidents (including motorcyle) by the military medical systm or Tri-Care (in the case of retirees, such as me). Our proof of insurance is our military ID cards, which do not meet the TX requirement for a 'proof of insurance' cards that they are proposing.

Do other states have such a proof of motorcycle health coverage requirement to delineate whether a person must or need not wear a helmet?

alanmcorcoran 04-29-2010 04:58 PM

Re: Texas helmet law proof of motorcycle medical insurance.

Never heard of motorcycle accidents being excluded, but, I guess anything is possible. We have a mandatory helmet law and mandatory insurance coverage (although, not necessarily medical) anyway so it wouldn't make as much sense here.

Will they be requiring insurance for eating the KFC Double down or watching TV eight hours a day? I understand heart attacks, diabetes and obesity can be expensive to treat as well.

I'm not up on the fine details of the national heath care legislation, but it seems like it would preclude exclusions for specific types of accidents. Are there exclusions for skydiving or skiing or bicycle riding?

dentheman 04-29-2010 05:06 PM

Apparently there must be some medical insurance companies that exclude people who aren't wearing helmets, otherwise why such a law? I am afraid that companies who don't exclude motorcycles may start doing so since this requirement could become a pain for them to comply with. My Tri-Care has no exclusions.

burkbuilds 04-29-2010 05:45 PM

You might want to check again on your Tri-Care, my son-in-law is in the Army and a few weeks ago they made the point of telling them that if they were in a motorcycle accident and were not wearing a helmet, AND, a leather jacket or some type of armored jacket, that the army was not going to pay those medical expenses.

dentheman 04-29-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkbuilds
You might want to check again on your Tri-Care, my son-in-law is in the Army and a few weeks ago they made the point of telling them that if they were in a motorcycle accident and were not wearing a helmet, AND, a leather jacket or some type of armored jacket, that the army was not going to pay those medical expenses.

I just talked to a Tri-Care rep about a week ago and there are no exclusions (yet). It may be different for active duty. But I probably need to check into it again. Tri-Care is administered by Humana rather than directly by the military.

dentheman 04-29-2010 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burkbuilds

I did call Tri-Care, they said they would pay as secondary insurance to pick up what the automobile (motorcycle) collision insurance company didn't pay. BUT THERE IS NO REQUIREMENT FOR HELMET, ARMORED JACKET, ETC, if state law doesn't require it. So I called a couple motorcycle (collision) insurance companies, and found they have no specific requirements except what state law requires. So, my take is I would be covered as long as I complied with state law. Your brother in law may be in a state that has different protective gear law requirements. As far as the Army telling him he would not be covered, I would take that with a grain of salt. Many, many years ago the Air Force required a 4 square inch white reflective tape on the back of motorcycle helmets until it was challenged, now they go by state law requirements.

patrick_777 04-29-2010 06:31 PM

Umm....source?

dentheman 04-29-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrick_777
Umm....source?

I started here: > http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/helmet.htm< Since then I made some calls and sent some emails to both the TX DPS Motorcycle Division and TX Dept of Insurance requesting clarification concerning military ID cards. The Dept of Ins has been sending me pdf. files of their working papers for this proof of insurance. They will be meeting April 30 in Austin to thrash out the details. The deeper I get into this, the deeper it gets. I'm not sure the law will be enforceable, except after the fact of an accident or some other infraction.

dentheman 04-29-2010 09:58 PM

TX motorcycle helmet proof of motorcycle health insurance.

trying to add pdf file.[attachment=0:34cplu5z]Motorcycle Hlth ID Card - Inf Rule 04-15-10 (3).pdf[/attachment:34cplu5z]

bonehead 04-30-2010 07:29 AM

When I was active duty, if you rode a bike you had to at least wear a helmet at all times no matter the state law. It was was an air force regulation. And that was on or off base.