GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Steering Lock Problems (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3740)

Waltz 10-28-2010 06:39 AM

Steering Lock Problems

I know this is a stupid topic.. :poke2: but since you guys know so much about gz's I thought i'd bring up a subject that keeps annoying the absolute f*ck out of me. Do you know how to lock the steering?? :retard: I have tried it so many times but the key never seems to turn into the "LOCK" position..

Has this happened to anyone else??

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

b1pig 10-28-2010 07:38 AM

Re: Steering Lock Problems

Sometimes, lack of use will cause it to be a pain. I push the key in on our bikes to lock it. with the GZ, sometimes, i have to wiggle the key. Lori called me the first time she used the lock and had some trouble with it not unlocking. I told her to wiggle the key as she turned and it unlocked. i sprayed PB Blaster on the lock "tab" later that nite. no issue since.

blaine 10-28-2010 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1pig
Sometimes, lack of use will cause it to be a pain. I push the key in on our bikes to lock it. with the GZ, sometimes, i have to wiggle the key. Lori called me the first time she used the lock and had some trouble with it not unlocking. I told her to wiggle the key as she turned and it unlocked. i sprayed PB Blaster on the lock "tab" later that nite. no issue since.

Mine was always a pain to lock & unlock.I also had to wiggle the key alot to get it to work.Lubrication helped,but was still a pain.
:2tup: :rawk:

Waltz 10-28-2010 08:49 AM

Yeah i've tried wiggling the key heaps, as I turn the bars but it doesn't work. I'll hit it with a bit of p.b.. That might do the trick.

blaine 10-28-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waltz
Yeah i've tried wiggling the key heaps, as I turn the bars but it doesn't work. I'll hit it with a bit of p.b.. That might do the trick.

The bars need to be turned completely left for the lock to engage.
:) :cool:

Easy Rider 10-28-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaine
The bars need to be turned completely left for the lock to engage.
:) :cool:

IIRC, on mine it had to be full left, and then back right just a hair.
I solved the "problem" by never using it. :)

Moedad 10-28-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy Rider

Same with mine.

Viirin 10-28-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Same here - i jiggle the bars and key to get it to lock but it's never been a problem for mine - think it could be more than technique in your situation though so lube it up! :2tup:

alanmcorcoran 10-28-2010 01:48 PM

Mine seems to just work. I did create a minor problem for a while with one of my many implementations of my windshield - at one point I had to force it a bit because a clamp prevented turning it to the place it likes to be. My big problem is getting the key into the ignition in the dark.

cayuse 10-28-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Same for me, and don't forget to push the key in, too.
Then watch out you don't go too far and turn on the "parking" light. :roll: