GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General GZ250 Talk (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   spedometer won't sit still (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5761)

dalak79 10-25-2012 12:30 AM

spedometer won't sit still

ok this is my third week or something like that, i notice and it is inconstant but my speedometer bounces. there does not seem to be any pattern and it doesn't seem to be bumpy terrain. it bounces even on flat surface with a steady throttle. some times it sticks and then drops? the fluctuation is about 4-7mph difference while going between 30 - 60mph. when i bought my first bike 450 nighthawk (a few years back) it had no speedometer but i used the tachometer and gear to determine speed until i got a speedometer. as you all know gz has no tachometer so i am a bit worried if i loose the speedometer.

alantf 10-25-2012 04:36 AM

Re: spedometer won't sit still

First thing - try lubricating the cable. It could be something as simple as that. :)

jonathan180iq 10-25-2012 08:47 AM

And make sure the cable is screwed in their properly. They can wiggle loose and give bad readings.

mole2 10-28-2012 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
And make sure the cable is screwed in their properly. They can wiggle loose and give bad readings.

I second this. It was the first thing I thought of. Check the connection down by the wheel to see if it's tight and the cable is fully inserted.

:)

Water Warrior 2 10-29-2012 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alantf
First thing - try lubricating the cable. It could be something as simple as that. :)

Yup, keep it simple. Sounds like the cable is binding from lack of lubrication. You might want to pull the inner speedo cable out for a cleaning and lube it with a light oil or even chain lube as you slide it back into the outer housing. Disconnect the cable from the speedo head and pull the inner cable out. After cleaning, when you slide the inner cable back in while lubing it you should also turn it with your fingers to help spread the lube. It will eventually hit bottom and not turn when it finds it's proper position in the drive mechanism in the front hub. Push the bike a few feet and you should see the top of the inner cable turning to varify it is seated properly. Reattach the top end to the speedo head and wash your hands. Go riding to check a job well done.

dalak79 11-01-2012 06:43 PM

ok, thanks all. it turned out to be a loose cable. i removed the speedo to check what type a bulb the bright indicator was, and it was loose. it did not feel loose with speedo attached or i wasn't able to get a grip on it while it was attached, but after i removed the speedo i notice it was loose. that problem is fixed, no more bounce.

Water Warrior 2 11-01-2012 09:52 PM

:2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: :2tup: