GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Can't get the cylinder head cover off... (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5814)

schooler94 11-16-2012 04:04 PM

Can't get the cylinder head cover off...

I took out all the bolts and hit it with a plastic maallet and I can't get the cylinder head cover off... I called the shop that had it and they said the blue stuff is just silicone and it should pop right off as long as nothing is still secured. Did I miss something?

Water Warrior 2 11-16-2012 04:38 PM

Re: Can't get the cylinder head cover off...

There are 12 bolts holding the cover on. Did you remove all of them? Go to Ronayers.Com for their fiche section and a good picture/parts info.

schooler94 11-16-2012 04:47 PM

Yup I got 12... thanks

Water Warrior 2 11-16-2012 04:56 PM

Schooler94, just keep all the ducks in a row and avoid jumping all over the forum could you continue the parting out/repairing on one thread only. I'm an old guy and get dizzy easily. Pic a thread and we will follow you.

schooler94 11-16-2012 05:07 PM

Alright, sorry. And I got the cover off... I was playing with the screws that go into the valves and I think I messed something up and it popped off

schooler94 11-16-2012 07:11 PM

Finally got the head off, I tried the water thing that Blaine mentioned in another post to see if the valves were leaking, and they're not... but the mechanic told me the valve clearance kept going to zero after he set it (not really sure what that means). I don't want to have to spend $100 on the tools to remove the valves though if I don't even know that will fix my problems...

schooler94 11-16-2012 07:22 PM

It would be $250 for 4 valves, 4 springs, 4 new tappets and nuts that go into the valve rocker arm, and the tools... The only thing is that I'm not sure that would even fix my problems...

blaine 11-16-2012 07:52 PM

I would let the machine shop have a look.They will tell you if valves/seats are good before they check for squareness.
:) :cool:

Water Warrior 2 11-16-2012 07:54 PM

Just a thought. Do a good visual inspection of the piston and cylinder walls to see if there is any signs of damage or unexpected wear. My next idea would be to have the machine shop check the head for warpage. You need to gather as much info as possible before commiting to a bunch more money.
I'm starting to wonder if the Shop mechanic knew how to actually set the valves.

schooler94 11-16-2012 09:35 PM

Alright I'll probably take it to a machine shop tomorrow if they're open staurdays, if not then next week. Will they check the valves though? And my piston head is kind of charred, as are the valves, and the head is a little warped. I used a straight edge across the head and a lot of light is showing underneath, so apparently the mechanic didn't do a very good job sanding it down. I'll try to post some pics right now