GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   Troubleshooting (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Horn blares when turning key on (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8111)

bwader 07-11-2018 03:45 PM

Horn blares when turning key on

All I did electrically was unhook the wire harness to access adjusting the valves.

So does it mean I need a new horn? It's funny I had the bike running before and didn't hit the horn button

Water Warrior 2 07-11-2018 08:29 PM

You don't need a new horn because this one works. Just double check your wiring hook-up. I'm not sure but the horn may be activated by pushing the button to ground it. If so you may have accidently grounded it so it will blow all the time. It will be something simple so don't get excited about it. Pull a wire off the horn in the mean time if you need to ride.

bwader 07-12-2018 10:57 AM

Thanks. Yeah I tried removing either and both horn connections and horn doesn't blow. But bike work turn over. Green neutral light on.
I might make a video later.
Makes sense , horn must be grounded to blare all the time.
I'll have to try the horn switch maybe it got stuck somehow.

alantf 07-12-2018 04:01 PM

Don't think it's the horn switch. It was ok before you disconnected the harness, so it seems like a problem with the disconnection/ reconnection.

bwader 07-13-2018 05:50 AM

I took apart the switch. And a lot of little parts. Sprayed electronic contact cleaner.
Same issue. So I'll try cleaning the connections on harness when I get off work

bwader 07-13-2018 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Switch has continuity on both wires to it and from either wire to button contact point.

Now to order a replacement.
It's just a little button

bwader 07-13-2018 10:24 PM

Later after that I cut one wire on the horn switch and horn would still go off.
I don't understand it.
The gang connector I pulled apart and would stop the horn blaring, I took each wire end out of the connector.
Then one by one making each one tighter and fit well in its spot. All 9 and same result.
I got frustrated. I'll have to do another day.
Bike won't start. Checked all fuses good. Battery good. I turn key horn goes off lol, headlamp is on signals flash.
Must be another connector.
Felt like I wasted 3 hours

bwader 09-05-2018 09:57 AM

update. runs again

I had another electrical cable wire harness so I swapped it out, and started up and it starts up now. Horn doesn't blare.

I took apart my choke/ turn signal / horn part on handle bar now I need to put that back together which I regret taking it apart lol.

Probably will buy a used one to just put on and be done with it.

Valves still chatter. Readjusting valves again in future

bachelorb 09-05-2018 10:51 AM

This sounds like the story of me life..... Do and re-do..... :)

My son and I were talking about his old truck and how good it was running. I was telling him that everytime I got rid of an old vehicle, it was because of the electrical and not the motor.... chasing grounds and shorts have been a good portion of my life........