GZ 250 Forums

GZ 250 Forums (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/index.php)
-   General GZ250 Talk (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   A Better Bike (http://www.gz250bike.com/forum/showthread.php?t=834)

davtnn 06-03-2008 01:49 AM

A Better Bike

I am trying to get a comparison between the GZ and the Honda Rebel 250... I have seen the articles so i would prefer personal insights as to the qualities of each .. and any personal prefs ..Thanks

rusty rider 06-03-2008 07:51 AM

Really can't tell you much about the rebel. The GZ gets 65-75 mpg depending on the rider. Mine will cruise @ 60-65 mph for hours with no problem. Really the only down side to mine is my back side gets in a bunch if I ride over an hour with out stopping. I really like the looks of my bike it has the appearance of a larger bike, with the mid range power and fuel economy of a smaller bike.

turbo chicken 06-03-2008 08:38 AM

i had a little time on the rebel on my last day of MSC while it's not really enough time to form an unbiased opnion ... eh ...

- i like the way the GZ handled over the Rebel... maybe its the bigger tire on the GZ but it takes a little more effort especially during low speed manuvering to move it around... not much but a little more it made me feel more in controll than the rebel...
-The rebel seemed a little cramped... i didn't like the placement of the foot pegs.

I purchased my GZ before i even took the class... i like the way the GS looks better than the Rebel plain and simple... and if i remember correctly the displacment is a little more on the GZ ... but i could be wrong...

They are both very similar.... i suggest sitting or even wait till you take the Motorcycle Safety Training and ride on both before making a purchase...

Oh, and the GZ's tank is more big... that was a selling point for me for some reason...

IndyKTM 06-04-2008 05:41 PM

The Rebel has a cramped cockpit for a guy around 6 foot or larger. The tires are thinner and have a skittish feel to them. The GZ does have a larger tank. But from what I could tell they ride pretty similar as far as power delivery went. I checked out 2 Rebels and 2 GZ's before I bought the GZ. To tell you the truth, if I would have found the bike I was looking for, a used Hyosung GV250, I would have bought it over the GZ. Just telling the truth.

bigwonton 06-04-2008 11:53 PM

I rode both a Rebel and a GZ250 for my MSF class and both rode about the same in a parking lot setting. I will echo the sentiment that the Rebel felt cramped to me as well (I'm 5'10").

My only anecdotal caveat is to make sure things are set up properly. When I rode the GZ250 in my MSF class, something wasn't right with the shifter as it was very close to the foot peg and I had difficulties getting my boot under the shifter. No such problems with my own GZ250.

JIBTEXHNKA 06-05-2008 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndyKTM
To tell you the truth, if I would have found the bike I was looking for, a used Hyosung GV250, I would have bought it over the GZ. Just telling the truth.

i was looking for one of those too, i couldn't even find a new one around here.

Tonckawa 06-05-2008 12:17 PM

I was told by the dealer that when the bike gets broke in (i guess 500 miles), switch to premium gas and you she get 80+ mpg on GZ250.

Easy Rider 06-05-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tonckawa
, switch to premium gas and you she get 80+ mpg on GZ250.

Total BS.
This was a salesman type person, no doubt.
If it was somebody in the service shop, find a different dealer.

Premium gas in a GZ is simply a waste of money.
Only way to get 80+ mpg is to ride it like an old lady......down hill .....with a tail wind ! :roll:

Honestly, some folks get near 80. I don't remember anybody claiming over 80.

jonathan180iq 06-05-2008 03:39 PM

That premium gas claim is total crap.

bigfour 06-06-2008 01:05 AM

I gotta say that I still think the GZ is the best in the 250 class overall. The rebel may seem to have an advantage with its twin cylinder design but both cylinders move up and down together so it vibrates just as much if not more than the GZ, the rebel is 234cc vs the GZ's 249cc, and really it looks and feels smaller than the Suziki. I tried the rebel and nighthawk (same engine) during my MSF and that's when I knew I needed a GZ.
The Ninja 250 is another option but the redesigned '08 model is really a step back from previous models in my mind, with less HP, more weight, price jacked up $500 and valve adjustments were made more difficult. However it does look like a fun bike.
Yamaha also used to make a nice v-twin 250... the Virago, but it seems to have vanished from their catalog, any word?