View Single Post
Old 08-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Re: question about freeway riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryes7
I have been riding my GZ250 for 4 months. I would like to try the freeway but I wonder how it will handle the wind and if I will have enough power. Would like some advice from all of you expert 250 riders. Thank you
All freeways are not created equal.
The general prevailing speed and the desity of the traffic makes a BIG difference.
I would never take my GZ on some freeways, like around major cities where everybody drives like they are nuts....Chicago, NY, LA, Atlanta, etc. Same thing applies to some long-haul routes with lots of trucks and excessive speeds....like I-80, I-70 and I-90. There are, however, lots of rural Interstates where the traffic is not usually too heavy, there aren't a lot of trucks and most drivers follow the speed limit and/or respect those who do, where I would have no qualms riding the GZ at 60-65-70 all day long.

All bikes are not created equal either but most take a pretty good beating from the wind created by trucks......until you get up to the "heavy cruiser" class, which is a BIG jump.

And, last but not least, while you may THINK that you can't get from A to B without using a freeway, there are VERY few places where that is really true.....very few. You might have to look at a map or do a little exploring to figure it out but there probably IS a way. Having spent a LONG half day trying to get from North Atlanta to East Atlanta without freeways, I do know that some places it really IS almost impossible......or that the best non-interstate route is not the shortest one.