View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: Winter gear on the cheap (poor college student)

Okay, I tested my setup this morning. When I left it was around 44 degrees, a bit warmer than it was Saturday morning (39 - BURR!). I decided to forgo the thermal underwear this morning. Here is what I found out:
- Gotta get new gloves, period. I actually didn't have any problem with air blowing into my sleeves, but I don't think any amount of insulation is going to make up for the fact that the gloves are vented. It wasn't horrible though, and it'll do for a few more weeks. I think the latex gloves helped a bit, and they were certainly better than nothing. BTW, my hands were dry when I got to campus.
- With my Underarmor, by torso was quite toasty. I never once felt "cold," though I could definitely tell where the vents in my jacket's arms were (even with the liner in). The only modification I'll make is I'll probably start wearing a long-sleeve shirt over my Underarmor.
- My windbreaker/jeans combo worked surprisingly well. The only part of my legs that got cold was my lap. I'll have to see what its like with my thermal underwear before I make any changes. It was quite tolerable, though, and the only thing I'll likely have to do is perhaps get some sweat pants to wear under my jeans.
- With my beanie on under my helmet, my head stayed nice a toasty. My face got a little cold, especially since I had to crack my visor every once and a while to defog it, but once I get my balaclava I should be good to go.
- My boots, which aren't insulated (Dr. Marten), did surprisingly well, also. I only wore one pair of moderately heavy socks and my feet didn't get cold (or wet) at all.

All in all I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far. Now I just need to buy a gym bag to carry it around in while I'm on campus.

Login or Register to Remove Ads