View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Re: 900 miles in four days to the Georgia coast

Chris.

I'm not hardcore, but I do enjoy the comfort of having your house on wheels. Lots of cool gadgetry in the things as well.

In the early nineties I did two month-long trips around the West. The first went from here to Mt St. Helens to Mt Rushmore and back with lots of stops along the way. The second was more focused on Yellowstone. Both of these were in smallish pickup based RV's (Toyota body) I foret the class, but I think it was "A."

Since then I did some smaller trips in bigger (Class C?) RV's to local National forests, Malibu, Ventura and the like. After the kids went to college, haven't been out since. The big ones are better in may respects, except the gas mileage. If you mainly drive them to a nice place and park them, it's not too bad on the pocketbook.

I always rented - I don't have place to park one and I didn't want to feel obligated to use them to justify a payment or whatever.

I got into the motorcycle with the idea of trying to see if I could simplify the RV experience, go solo, more cheaply, and still enjoy it without driving a bed, bath and kitchen around. Camping is an option, but I think I'd be more of a hotel guy, or at least wsitich it up. I'm a little disappointed in the climbing power of the GZ - I'd be very reluctant to take it into the Sierras or across the Rockies, so I will probably upgrade before I try any lengthy tours. 40-50 uphill doesn't cut it. But other than that, it's ideal. I've done one day with 5 plus hours in the saddle and it wasn't that bad.