View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #40
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Convert your GZ250 into a 346cc!!!

I see no reason to contribute to this thread because:

The original "kit" that was supposed to be a drop-in for the GZ250 would not fit. The "kit" itself did exist and it still does. As mentioned, it is a big bore kit for the Suzuki Dr250. While similar, these engines are not the same. As a result, the thread was dropped and, I thought, it was dead. Jordan came in here with all kinds of claims of modifications that he was going to do, or that he had done, but never gave a single shred of evidence, except for claiming that he could smoke anyone in city traffic and that his "mechanics" had done more work to this bike than any other GZ EVER!!!!!! YEAH!!! The majority of his posts, as substantiated by just reading over them, made very little contribution to the knowledge base of this forum and were almost purely far-out speculation. (Like this BIG BORE kit)

Secondly, unless you have lots of spare motors lying around, which you can butcher to get parts, and have all of the tools necessary for the endless amount of work that you will have to do to gain these "precious" few horsepower and come away with a reliable engine, even then, even after all of that work, money and time, you'll essentially just be left with a slightly faster version of the same exact bike as everyone else.

I can appreciate your obvious knowledge of engine internals and the corresponding math, but this is something that just won't ever be worth the trouble. What we're essentially talking about is, I'd say, a minimum of $1000 (I'd expect much more) for a few MPH on the top end and some more low-end grunt. For the same amount of money, or time, you can get a much more reliable bike, which will outperform anything that you can build (no offense) for less than $1000 more than the cost of a GZ.

Can you build anything you want? Of course you can.
Will it later only be worth a fraction of the time, and money, and sweat that you put into it? Of course it will.
Will it ever be as reliable or as economical as just buying a bigger bike? Of course not.
Will having a highly modified GZ250 be a neat novelty that is worth a look or two before it fades away as an afterthought? Of course it will.