Thread: Brrrrr
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Brrrrr

Well, i've been riding up here in Pa for the past two weeks (weather permitting) in average 20-25 degree weather at night / 35-40 degrees during the day. I must say it hasn't been too bad.

Bottom: thermals, jeans, chaps + thick socks.
Top: thermals, tshirt, long sleeve, thick hoodie sweatshirt, overly heavy leather riding jacket.
Head: 1/2 coverage neoprene mask (covers forehead, face, ears, neck), bandanna, knit hat + non DOT german skid lid.
Hands: thick insulated hunting gloves. (need to upgrade to same but in leather).

One problem i am coming across is keeping my forehead warm because of the eye holes in the mask. Sub zero wind chills at 50mph hitting my forehead feels like riding with ice cubes on me. I have to figure out where the air is getting in and adjust my headwear to prevent it.

The other problem is ... and this holds true for almost every single 'biker' style jacket, is air getting into the tiny holes of the snap buttons for the upper jacket flaps. When i zip fully up, the snap button backs are exposed (on the breast of the jacket). Although very small .. what 1/4" if that ... its enough when its in the 20s to chill your chest. I really have to get some hot glue and fill the buttons in to prevent that as well.

I've got it down pretty good with my setup that zero air gets in anywhere besides what i just described. One more thing i need to add to my wardrobe is a scarf of some sort to build up the top of the jacket. The mask goes well below my neck, but there is still some room there for air to get in. A tied scarf tucked under the jacket should do the trick.

So, anyone else venturing out in the winter months??

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads