View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Re: Riding for fun and adventure...

Also, in all seriousness, I do appreciate the recommendations. I thought it might help if I listed things I DON'T really want:

1) The low-throated rumble of the (insert some V-Twin like engine here.) I'm not interested in people (okay, women) noticing my bike is loud. Chicks dig me for my rock hard bod.
2) Chrome. Ain't even wiped off my GZ once since I bought it and, unless it's gonna make my pant's dirty, I really don't care how shiny it is (I don't wash my cars much either.)
3) Custom paint, wheels, or any other non-performance related add-on/mod. Actually, I like black. Black and silver in a pinch. I will not buy a white, yellow, orange, green, purple or pink motorcycle.
4) 0-60 in 4 seconds. Super fast acceleration is not that important to me. I can't shift that fast anyway.
5) Top speed of 180 miles an hour. A top speed of 99 or so would probably be plenty.
6) Hand warmers, seat warmers.
7) RV like luggage space. I might be making a mistake here, but a part of me says, "hit the road with a toothbrush" and a few pairs of washable unmentionables. I am also not likely to be sleeping in a tent.
8) Leather saddle bags with shiny rivets. Nice to look at, but, leather? Outdoors? Doesn't seem practical.
9) Tassels, whips, fringes, or other "decorations."
10) No choppers or dirt bikes. Might consider an "adventure tourer" but I suspect, like hybrid bikes, you get the worst of both worlds. Probably don't want a sport bike either, but I need to try one first.

Sarris's exhortation aside, I suspect I am more likely to end up with a Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki than an H-D, but jury is still out on that, not having ridden an H-D yet. And, of course, the BMW looms. (I have driven a Toyota Camry for 25 years.)

Thanks again for all of your ideas.