View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #16
alanmcorcoran

Re: how much freeway driving?

This one's a bit different, I think. Some GZ's out there have just enough punch to make it on (most) highways. (Mine, I think, doesn't.) There is also the rider weight and wind profile factor. Plus, when you add in the fact that a lot of us GZ'ers are newbs, and are not used to what is an acceptable (survivable) level of turbulence, it's helpful to hear from people that are further down the learning curve. My GZ shakes, shimmies and generally bounces around quite a bit when I am riding WOT (WTFO?) on the freeway. At first, I thought I was minutes from certain death. Now I just go with the flow.

I kind of straddle the fence on this. In the first 4-5 months, I really was pretty terrified of the freeways out here. Now they don't scare me at all. But I really prefer the Strat to the GZ on the freeways by a huge factor. Partly because of reduced traction/stability of the GZ and partly because I can't keep up with the flow of traffic or safely pass slower vehicles.

I also think there is a difference between a country highway (paved with asphalt, one or two lanes, no traffic lights) and a "super-slab" (three or more lanes,mostly concrete, high speed, high traffic.) The GZ is fine on the first. It is a lot less capable on the second.

But, hands down, the absolute worst for me is city road driving, traffic light to traffic light. I did it enough times before I got over my freeway terror to know that I want to avoid it at all costs. Just not fun on a bike at all.

I think it's important to remember, different strokes for different folks. The guy that asked the question will find himself agreeing with some people on here more than others, and, in the future, will give their opinions greater weight. Don't mean there's only one right answer.

I think you are right that the helmet thing is more about risks than facts. I don't think there is much disagreement that, if you fall off your bike and hit you head on the pavement, it's probably better to have it in a helmet if you want less damage. By the same token, many of us that wear them would also agree that, the less helmet you have on, given good weather and disregarding the consequences of an accident, the better. For me, the inconvenience of the helmet is a reasonable price to pay for reducing my chances of a life-altering brain injury. Course, I'm increasing those odds tremendously by riding the bike in the first place, helmeted or otherwise.