View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Re: changing tires yourself

I'd imagine the front will be easier than the back. Not necessarily for the installation and de-installation of the tire/tube, but for the removal and re-installation of the wheel. I haven't done a motorcycle myself, but even on a bicycle, the back is worse than the front. With a bicycle, you can lay it down, even in the dirt, and all you'll risk is some grit on the chain. I suspect you don't want to lay a motorcycle on its side (do you?) given pesky things like oil and gas and such. Somewhere on here was a cheapo's guide to some two-piece wood blocks that assemble into a makeshift stand - maybe those would be of use to you. I'd also want to be clear on the technique for making sure the wheel is properly aligned and the chain is properly tensioned. And I'm guessing you have to deal with some sort of brake cable/caliper/housing disconnect/re-connect.

You will also need a pump, a spare tire and a tube if you truly want to be able to handle any situation.

I've given it some thought myself, as flats are VERY common on bicycles. I decided to add MC coverage on AAA as my solution. Not sure what I'll do if I'm outside cell phone converage or AAA coverage. My biggest worry is how I'll fare if the front tire blows out when I'm cruising down the 10 at 75.

Login or Register to Remove Ads