View Single Post
Old 02-22-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
music man

Re: Hey, I didn't get to chip in on the gun hijacked thread

A big issue with this is that comparing say Canada or Switzerland, and the U.S. in terms of gun violence is that there really is no comparision. Like someone said earlier in the other thread that got this going, there are so many murders that are gang members killing each other or drug dealers killing each other (or both) that you will never know what the true "civilian murder rate" is, until there is the number of gangs and drug dealers in Canada or Switzerland or England that we have here in the U.S., there is really no use comparing the two.

Also since there is a lot of Canadians on this site I will ask this since I am too lazy to look it up myself, when someone does commit a serious crime in Canada, do they actually do something to the criminal or do they slap them on the wrist and send them on there way like they do here. Here in the U.S. it is not uncommon for some young thug to kill someone over their purse, "make a deal" get 10 years, serve 6 of those and be back out on the street to kill someone else, if you want my opinion THAT is the real problem.

Even though I don't think we need to go to quite this extreme, in a few Middle eastern countries if you steal something, they chop off your hand (how many one handed middle eastern guys have you ever seen). It comes down to a basic respect for the laws we ALREADY HAVE in place and the fear of the punishment. For most of these so called gangbangers, going to prison is something to be proud of, almost like a vacation to go see old friends that are locked up, they are not scared in the least by it, the only people that are scared of prison are the Law Abiding Citizens. So in closing no amount of Gun Control is going to stop violence and murder, because like someone else already said, the only guns you are gonna end up controlling are the ones that Law Abiding citizens own, the criminals are gonna do what criminals do, break the gun control law.