View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly
Thank you so much Jonathan! You've taken a load off of my mind, and I appreciate your taking the time to help me. I LOVE my GZ250, and want to be sure she is "healthy". Thanks! I have only had the bike 3 days, and I have had a real blast on it!
Welcome to the family!
Agree with the others that this is probably normal. Almost all bikes have a "buzz point" somewhere in the rpm range. Unless it gets louder, I'd mention it to the dealer at the 600 mile service.

I'm not into a lot of modifications on bikes I own, at least not on the engine, as I think one often ends up worse off than they started out stock. Got a small windshield, foam grip covers, backrest/rack and side bags. I sent the engine guard back as it looked pretty useless to me.

There is, however, one mod that I did do. Changing the front sprocket to a 16 tooth (from stock 15) REALLY changes the character of the bike. The "feel" is entirely different......and better. Now I can make a left turn from a stop without shifting into 2nd in the middle of the turn! Can cruise around town at 40 in 4th gear with no strain.

If you like your bike now, I promise you will like it even more if you change that sprocket!
Part cost about $18. Labor cost about $35. If you have it done, be sure to check the adjustment of the back brake B-4 you ride it away. The change loosens it a bit and my shop failed to adjust it back.