View Single Post
Old 04-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #15
music man

Re: Helmet Use should be a personal choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
1.Why do many people go ATGATT? There no laws mandating armored jackets or wearing gloves or boots. It's because it makes sense, that's why, and the benefit has been demonstrated. There was a problem and it was fairly easy to solve.

2.You wrote that the crash rate in Florida decreased after the helmet law was repealed - do you honestly think there is a direct correlation between those two events? Like it had nothing to do with having to pass an MSF course prior to getting a license or better training for bikers? What did it have to do with no helmets? Better visibility, cooler heads, less weight on your neck? It is one of those true/true/unrelated scenarios, but someone links the 2 events together in order to prove their point.

On the first part of this, you actually made a point for NOT having mandatory helmet laws, your average person (including me) who lives in a state where there is no helmet law, will wear a helmet anyways (I do) whether the government tells them to or not, why, because it makes sense to wear one. The people that don't wear one because there is no law will go without one every chance they get in a state that does have that law.

On your second point, I think it is "Safer" RIDING without a helmet as far as visibility, less weight and fatigue on your neck, blah, blah, blah..... but it is not safer CRASHING without a helmet, so I wear one.

In closing, you are just not going to save people who do not want to be saved, you can't force safety on someone because they will circumvent that safety any chance they get, Just like if people want to do heroin they will, legal or illegal just doesn't make a damn. But if they made heroin legal and available at every local grocery store and gas station tomorrow, I would be no closer to doing heroin then than I am now, Plain and Simple.

Login or Register to Remove Ads