View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #20
burkbuilds

Re: Helmet Use should be a personal choice

Politically speaking: I'm basically a Libertarian, I do NOT think the government should be responsible to take care of everybody and that includes paying for everybody's health care and food and housing and everything else. I'm with Easy Rider on this one, the governments role in our lives should be minimized to things individuals can NOT do for themselves. Where does it stop? One day they say, "Gotta wear a helmet", that's not far from saying, "gee, motorcyclists are more likely to die than automobile drivers per million miles traveled, so we better outlaw motorcycle riding." Then it goes to anything else you might want to do, skiing, hang gliding, sky diving, mountain climbing . . . then one day somebody notices that automobile drivers are more likely to die than pick up truck drivers per million miles traveled, so they outlaw cars, and then they notice that 18 wheeler drivers are less likely to die than pickup truck drivers, so. . . . where does it end? It's not the governments job to meddle in my personal choices, even if they can say they are doing it for my good or the good of society because of financial situations! By the way, I think it's stupid that the government "outlaws" those little cars from Europe that get great gas mileage because they aren't as safe as the bigger cars. Aren't any of those cars safer to be in in an accident than we are on our bikes? Probably, so why can't I choose to drive one and get great gas mileage? At most, the government needs to test those cars and give them a "safety rating" and let us make the choice about what we want to drive!
Well, I guess I'm getting pretty off topic now, but to bring it back to my point, the government shouldn't be "forcing" anybody to wear a helmet! If they want to promote wearing a helmet, or give "rating" to helmets so we as individuals can make a more informed choice, I'm okay with that, but it should be my choice. And I'll personally chose to wear one whether it's a law or not, but that is and should be my choice not the governments mandate!