View Single Post
Old 05-15-2009, 11:53 PM   #19
BusyWeb

Re: two finger technique

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
I find that 90% of the time I 'cover' the brake and clutch with at least a couple fingers, if not all of them, while riding. When I operate the clutch and brake, though, I use all fingers, it's just more comfortable to me, to each his own.
Hi, there.
Here is my experience about covering fingers....
I used to do same way like what you are doing >> 'cover' the brake and clutch with at least a couple fingers.
But now (I have not been riding almost over 20 years, ha ha ha), after MSF class, I try not to.
Whenever I recognize that I cover; especially on the clutch lever; with fingers,
I remove it intentionally if I'm not riding on the busy city commuting which requires frequent gear shifting.
The reason is that when riders met a Panic Situation,
riders tend to squeeze the clutch or brake lever without thinking (self-defense system on the brain).
And many cases with that makes bike down especially when turning or bike was leaned.
I also had similar situations and felt it's very dangerous.... (I might need better riding technique.. ha ha ha),
and bike losses power suddenly when clutch is out of the engin train when turning or riding down, and I had hard moments to control bike. >>> causes worse situations.
That's my experience for the covering fingers ...

And one thought about Two Finger Method.
I'm currently having just little bit shorter Clutch Lever. (don't ask me why ... ha ha ha, if you ask, I will answer why I have shorter clutch lever)
My clutch lever is just right size for my palm size; it just covers all my 4 fingers.
So, most time I'm using my 2-3 fingers without my intention, and felt very comfty.
And my last two fingers are very happy with it >> I can put on/off my all fingers very easily and faster than before....
It gives less fatigue on my left hands..... and gave me little better control on clutch >> I don't know why???
There might be some reasons(Physics) here >>> shorter >>> less movement requires on clutch actions
>> shorter >> requires just little more hand gripping power >>> but reduces time to find friction zone >>> shorter clutch engage time >>> etc...
Ha ha ha, I don't want to change my shorter clutch lever with Longer until I found some reason.

However, I like to use all my 4 fingers on the bike levers >> makes me more confidence on....