Thread: Noob from WA
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #12
prof_stack

Noob from WA - Accident Report

How to begin?

I'm at home now after being in the ER of Harborview Hospital in Seattle for 6 hours. The driver of a Honda Civic failed to yield to me at a flashing red light. I had a flashing yellow light. I was in the middle lane of a one-way street and an SUV or pickup on my left must have blocked the view of the Civic driver.

I t-boned the Civic. I remember there suddenly being a car RIGHT THERE IN MY PATH. Then my egg got scrambled. The driver called my wife and apologized profusely. Apparently I gave him the phone number. Don't remember much. The policeman, at the hospital, said I was going 20-25MPH and that the Buell was in pretty good shape from his reckoning. The driver was cited for failure to yield. The medic who came with me in the emergency van rides a Suzuki GSXR600 and made sure my ballistics gear did not get cut off.

Six hours in the #1 trauma center in the NW and I was in good, albeit busy, hands there. Cat scan, x-rays, vitals, fluids, wait, wait, and more wait. Full moon did its usual craziness and the place was hopping with drowning victims, police-guarded patients, and medivac choppers coming in.

The full-faced helmet had a serious gash along the chin and a big bruise in the back where it contacted the ground. A half-helmet or open-faced one would have reset my teeth, I'm sure. The leather boots got a chunk out over the steel toe. The Joe Rocket ballistics so far look fine.

Anyway, my right side is very sore and will get sorer, I think. Being 56 years old might slow the healing compared to when I was 33! Tylenol and ibuprofin will be my friends for a couple of days.

But other than that things seem to be okay. Praise the Lord that I'm home and able to type this after 4 hours of sleep.

Still considering the GZ250 although the wife would prefer I stop riding, and, as incentive, get that $3k guitar I've been dreaming about.