View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
burkbuilds

Re: Big bike handling vs. GZ handling

A lot of things can change the dynamics of how a bike handles. Center of gravity is another variable in that equation. When I changed over to my Vulcan 500 I couldn't tell much difference in how it handled compared to my GZ; however, I hadn't considered that I had "customized" the seat on the GZ so that it was 2" higher than stock so it didn't actually handle the same as a stock GZ because that raised my center of gravity. Then when I bought the Vulcan, although it is a little heavier bike, the factory seat height was about 28" (same as a stock GZ) and I didn't really notice any difference in how it handled until I customized the seat on it and raised it up by 3" in height. Then I noticed that I had to lean harder into the curves. It took me about 150 miles of riding to feel like I was back in full "balance" and able to handle the curves again as well as before. So just adding 3" to the height I was sitting changed the dynamics of how the bike handled noticeably for me. That might also account for some of the difference you feel when you go from the GZ to a bigger bike if that bike has a higher seat height than the GZ. Now that I've gotten used to it, I actually feel like it handles the curves better than the GZ but it did change the way I lean in a turn from the way I was leaning on the GZ. The first time I went into an S-Curve after raising the seat height I was glad nobody was coming the other way because I was on top of the double yellow lines before I knew it and if somebody had been riding the line coming the other way I'd probably be history.
Your point is good that whenever we change bikes we probably need to ride a little more conservatively until we get the feel for the new bike because they do handle differently because of a variety of reasons.

Login or Register to Remove Ads