View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Re: DIY Saddle Bag Mount Project for my new bike ^^;

Yeah, I'm less concerned about the bike than my skill levels. I don't do a lot of that kind of riding, but you do tend to gradually get more comfortable leaning the bike over and maintaining stability via the throttle over time - even if it is mostly making left turns at a intersection. I agree the GZ was more nimble. Also, think it had higher ground clearance than the Strat. The other thing is, I weigh a little more than half as much as the GZ, but the Strat is way heavier than me, so it takes a lot more skill to have one's way with it.

I had one of my most challenging rides last week when I got to San Diego. A seven story, steep, super-tight spiral on oily concrete in a parking garage. Survived it without any unplanned contact, but it was hairy. The next day, I almost bit it in a parking lot with a "blind backer outer" (came out right in front of me) but although I panic stopped using the front brakes and skidded, something caused me to let go rather than lock them up completely (shoulda been on both brakes, but I guess I've lost that instinct already.) Skidded a bit, twice in rapid succession, but remained fully upright. Probably dumb luck but I like to think experience is kicking in after 6500 miles.

(The Strat has two giant disc brakes in front, tremendous stopping power, you have to respect it when you grab the lever.)