View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #9
dhgeyer

Re: Valve Clearance.

I bought my feeler guages at Sears. They go down to .0015", didn't cost a whole lot, and I have had no trouble bending them to a shape to get at the GZ's valves. I even cut them down with tin snips to get in there more easily. Obviously the ones I modified are now special purpose tools for this job only.

I bought the special purpose valve adjustment tool. I paid a lot more than you guys did. Prices have gone up, or I got taken. Anyway, I was kind of disappointed with it. It's too long to get in there easily. I got the job done, but I had to cut the tie holding some cables and move them out of the way to do it. After I got done, I took the tool down to the shop and shortened it. I cut it about half way down with a hacksaw. Then I put the plastic handle in a vise, and heated the steel shank with a torch until the plastic was just soft enough to pull the shank out. Then I put the shortened tip back in the handle, heating it with the torch just enough to melt its way back into the hole in the handle. It was still too loose, so I pulled it out and superglued it in the handle. Next time I use it, it should work better. I also bent my own 8mm box end wrench, and shortened it. That worked quite well.