View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xt477
Give me an idea of what connector and how many conductors I may have something laying around to fix it. If nothing else I would never use tape, a butt splice style crimp connector would much more reliable, especially in Fla.

Thanks for the heads up Bob....Think I may go add a few connectors and a set of crimper/strippers to my kit right now!
You can't use a but connector to wrap a wiring harness. That has been cut open. The tape was from a previous repair.

I don't like butt connectors. If they are not a perfect for the wire and crimped with exactly th right amount of pressure they work loose. In high current applications they will get hot and burn if the crimp isn't perfect. They will collect water and dirt because they are not sealed. There is a reason the connectors in the headlight bucket have rubber seals. That said, they would probably do for an emergency repair to get you home or to a shop but I would not leave one in there. Especially not this one. Its probably got 35 amps going through it. Everything electrical on the bike goes through that wire.

Login or Register to Remove Ads