View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Re: getting new bike, 3 to decide on. hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
my concern with the vlx is what kind of comfortable cruzing speed can you get on one. if it will comfortably cruz at 65-70mph i would be quite happy with it.

i found a nice 06 vlx for a little under 4 grand with 3k some miles on it. it has some pipes on it that sound great.
Here's the thing, the 600 VLX will do 65 in third. The vibration gets pretty bad above 60 though.
In that respect it is somewhat like the GZ.......with the scale moved up about 20 mph. It cruises comfortably at 70 but runs out of horsepower about 80 or so......and starts vibrating too.

You might be surprised to find that the pipes on it are STOCK; mine are and they have a nice growl when pushed but quiet otherwise.

And I can't for the life of me figure out how people think more gears is better. You end up with almost exactly the same final drive ratio and just have to shift more to get there. These bikes aren't supposed to be lightning quick and they aren't meant for racing......the only 2 reasons I can see for having extra gears. The clutch operation does take a little getting used to; kind of like starting a stock GZ in second.