View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #22
dhgeyer

Re: Increasing power output to handle accessory overload

I have an electric jacket liner and gloves, but no electric clothes for the bottom half of me. My riding pants are more waterproof than any rain suit I ever tried, and have a removable, fairly heavily insulated liner. They also have armor in the knees. With those, long johns, double wool socks, and good boots, my legs/feet don't get cold at highway speeds down into the 20's Fahrenheit. The heated jacket liner keeping the core warm makes a big difference, even in the extremities.

I got all my serious riding gear, after having done without it for years, at MAX's BMW dealership in North Hampton, NH. BMW sells itself as the brand for serious riders, and their dealerships are the best source I have found for serious riding gear. They not only have the stuff you need, but also people who have used it and can help you make intelligent choices, and sell you stuff that fits properly. They will not put you down if you ride in on something other than a BMW. They see their market as consisting of people, like you, who want to ride a lot in whatever conditions are. Their strategy is to get people hooked on that attitude toward riding, and then figure they will want the bikes after a while. Unfortunately BMW is (deservedly) losing its reputation for reliability and quality. If they don't clean up their act I fear they will go down. People who have been faithful to the marque for decades are abandoning it for Jap bikes. But, for now, it's a great source of riding gear.