View Single Post
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Re: won't start - bad gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2kdave
ok, now it's back to not starting again
It won't start in run, prime, or reserve. Engine turns over, but won't fire. I drained fuel from the carb and it looked fine, there were a few specks of debris, but nothing major. I checked the vacuum and fuel hoses on the carb and they looked fine.

If it were an issue with a cutoff switch, wouldn't there be no reaction to pressing the ignition, instead of the engine turning over but not firing?

thanks for all the input!
The entire switch housing has multiple contacts. The start button is a duel purpose switch, it shuts of the headlight and powers the starter at the same time. Then reverses the contacts when you let off the starter button. The kill switch powers the ignition system using different contacts. One set of contacts may be more subject to operating malfunctions than others. Also mentioned was the side stand switch, if it is loose or corroded it might shut off the engine when the transmission is in gear and you are on the move with the side stand in the up position. I am sure your problem is a minor one but you have to track it down for your own safety. A bike that randomly shuts down on the street is a liability.

Login or Register to Remove Ads