View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #17
dhgeyer

Re: Got a ticket on bike, what to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I think Mr. Geyer has the wisest approach (except for the part about pleading mental incompetence - not sure I want that in the public record when looking for a job, applying for health insurance or running for office!)
I'm not sure mental illness is any drawback to holding public office. In fact, I think it might be an asset. Have you looked at the way our "public servants" are behaving lately, and what they're doing to us? And I'm not especially directing that comment at either party or political orientation in particular. Mark Twain once described Congress as "That grand old benevolent asylum for the helpless". The more things change, the more they stay the same. :retard:

As to looking for a job or getting health insurance, it would be unethical at least and possibly illegal not to disclose any pre-existing conditions. Bipolar syndrome is fairly manageable these days in most cases, and now that our daughter is being treated it's not a serious issue. It will become less so as time goes on, her treatment is refined, and she learns to manage it. This all happened to us over the past Summer, and, of course, we have done much to learn all we can about this illness. Untreated it can and does destroy lives. Treated, the prognosis is very good. You would be amazed if you knew about some of the household names, leaders, celebrities, artists, scientists, authors, and so on who are bipolar.