View Single Post
Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
dhgeyer

Re: Winter Riding in New Hampshire

dubwise,

Which GS500 do you have, the GS500E (naked) or the GS500F (has bodywork)? If you have the "F", it likely will give you a little better wind protection in very cold weather. Also, salt won't hurt plastic as much as metal, especially chrome. Apart from that, the 500 may (not to say does as I don't know but worth looking into) have enough alternator output to power electric clothes. The GZ250 definitely does not. If you keep this madness up you will (trust me on this) want to migrate to electric clothing sooner or later.

My Winter bike is a BMW R850R, which is heavier than either of your machines. But it has that wonderful Beemer power plug, a 700 watt alternator, heated grips, a good windshield, and it has never gone down any farther than the cylinder heads, which does no damage except to the small and relatively inexpensive plastic cylinder head guards. It's also not too hard to pick it up from that partially tipped over position. I have good BMW handguards for it, but I don't like them much and they are currently not on the bike. Between the heated handgrips and electric gloves my hands have been warm enough so far without them.

I haven't had the problem with the balaclava that you are having. It can limit my head movement a little, but I find that if I'm careful to leave some "slack" when I tuck it into my jacket it's not too bad. The opening in mine has never limited peripheral vision at all.

Definitely agree the little GZ is easier to manage, especially on ice. I've taken the GZ places that I wouldn't dare try with either of my other bikes. That's part of the fun of owning it, as it opens up riding opportunities around here. Not sure what you'll find for winter/off road tires, but it can't hurt to ask. If the roads are wet when you ride, this time of year you will be splashing and splattering salt water all over your bike. If you value its looks and/or resale value, you will want to hose it down when you get home to get the salt off.

I must admire your chutzpa. I'm waiting for Friday and/or Saturday to ride, as it's going to be a lot warmer. I have ridden down to 20 degrees, but if it's going to warm up in a day or two, I'll wait.

By the way, when the weather really warms up, would you have any interest in meeting up for some riding? I've never seen 2 GZ250's together around here. Maybe we could start a trend.