View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #5
jpgast

I had a guy in a van pull in front of me yesterday kind of the same way- I was taking my bike home during lunch because rain was moving into the area- the sky was darkening up and the wind was starting to pick up, so I wanted to get home before I got soaked (again).

As I turned the corner headed to my home, I saw this minivan sitting in the road with his wheels pointed left toward a driveway- I thought "this guy has got to see me" and started to slow down- I was probably doing 25 to 30 at best. As I got closer to the guy, he gasses it and pulls right in front of me- I locked both wheels and came to a sudden stop (I didn't even hit the horn- I just wanted to make a quick controlled stop). As I sat there just looking at the guy, he leaned over to the open passenger window and said he was sorry and that it was his fault.

I guess the way that I looked at this was that this man seemed sorry for what he had done- he should have seen me with my headlight, but he apparently didn't- I was able to stop the bike with the only thing to show for it being a slight black mark on the pavement where the rear wheel locked.

The other thing that I had to take into consideration was that I have pulled out in front of people by mistake too- I had accidently done it the previous night while driving my car. Although that night I realize that I had made a mistake, I can't say that I was impressed with the gestures and words that the other driver made.

Of course, the other thing about this story is that in both cases, the 'offending' driver realized that they made a mistake and did not laugh or gloat about it- that would just be poor tact.

Login or Register to Remove Ads