Thread: Starting Issues
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2007, 08:34 AM   #6
Badbob

Re: Starting Issues

Quote:
Ok, I had the battery tested. THe guy at the shop told me that the battery was not holding a charge. So, I purchased a new one. Installed new battery. Made sure all connections were clean and tight. Pressed the ignition switch, and still nothing. I do not even think that the engine is turning over one complete time. It makes a noise for just a split second and then goes silent. Now what?
This might seem like a stupid question. Was the new battery charged when you got it?

If the battery has a full charge is the symptom repeatable? Does it do exactly the same thing every time?

We are going to try to help you but we need all the details. This is very difficult to do with a thousand mile long screw driver. So be patient with us.

Get the service manual and go through the trouble shooting charts and see if anything jumps out at you.

Do you have a multimeter? Can you read a schematic/wiring diagram?

I'm using the WAG (Wild Assed Guessing) trouble shooting system here so take it with a grain of salt. It sounds like you may have a bad switch. If the battery is good and fully charged and all the switches work a good starter will turn the engine. Since it only turns a little I'd get my multimeter out and test all the switches.

This simplified schematic will give you an uncluttered view to help you troubleshoot.

You may have to study the full schematic for your bike to locate the switches. I think they are all the same but I would not bet on it.

The side stand switch or the engine stop switch are more likely to give problems than the ignition switch. Check them first.