View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
burkbuilds

Re: NHTSA motorcycle accident statistics for 2008

I'll have to agree with you music man, I've had more people pull out in front of me when I was driving my pickup truck than when I was on my motorcycle. As you point out, in the truck I lock up the brakes, blow the horn, roll my eyes at the idiot that just did that and a few minutes later I've forgotten all about it, probably because even if I hit him with my truck I'm not likely to suffer any major bodily harm, whereas on my motorcycle it would most likely kill me or at least seriously injure me if I were to hit him broadside.
On the opposite side, I'll have to admit that I have also pulled out in front of a car I didn't see a few times in my life while driving my car/truck. I think it mostly happened to me when I was a younger, less experienced driver who was also in more of a hurry than I am now-a-days, and when I was probably concentrating on something else other than driving the car. Having a few "close calls" like that and a few more years under my belt, plus having lived long enough to see the serious consequences of those type of poor driving habits, has helped make me a more aware driver. I also think that riding the motorcycle has made me an extremely more aware driver no matter what I'm driving. I find myself constantly appraising my driving situation and looking out for things that might happen and thinking about how to avoid putting myself in a bad spot no matter what I'm driving.