View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Another topic for discussion - ABS brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Insurance institute researchers found that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes were 37 percent less likely to be involved in fatal crashes. Another study determined that motorcycles with anti-lock brakes had 22 percent fewer claims for crash damage per insured vehicle year than the same models without them.

Lund said the two reports provided "compelling evidence that anti-locks reduce fatal crash risk and lower insurance losses. NHTSA has what it needs to move forward with a regulation."
God save us from well meaning bureaucrats.
Those reports, by themselves, provide no such thing.

This is yet another case of (likely) mis-interpretation of raw statistical numbers.

It does not take into account other factors that may be MORE important than the ABS itself.
***I*** think that riders who choose, and can afford, a bike with ABS are more conservative and experienced and would be involved is a lesser number of crashes regardless of what kind of bike they are riding.

I also think that if this is implemented, that numbers will "prove" that the do-gooders are right as the number of accidents goes down........as the number of riders goes down because of the price increase.

How IS it that the people in positions or responsibility these days are so..........DUMB ???
We need LESS government regulation of things like this and MORE regulation of the big money and power.

The terrorists are putting something in the water, I tell you !!!