View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: New member in MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Hi guys and girls, I'm a proud 2005 GZ250 owner, and reborn rider in Maryland.
Mine only had 35 miles on it when I got it, unfortunately the previous owner dropped it during the driving exam resulting in 1 tiny dent and a few scratches, and gave up so the bike was just sitting there for almost two years.
Welcome to the "club".

Keep a close eye on the tires. If it was stored inside they should be OK. If they were exposed to direct sunlight for the 2 years, the sidewalls might be cracking. Tiny cracks are not a problem, especially for tires with tubes, but if sidewalls are cracking the tread might be getting hard too.

After reading a LOT of other's reports and doing a little "tinkering" myself, I have decided (for me) that performance mods are a waste of time. What you might gain is just not worth the trouble.
HOWEVER.......
If you feel that the engine is a little "buzzy" as you go through the gears AND you won't be on freeways except for short distances when absolutely necessary, then you are probably a good candidate for a 16 tooth front sprocket. A bunch of us love the improvement. I have yet to hear anybody who regrets making the change. The only downside is that most folks loose a little bit on the top end (~ 5mph).

P.S. You didn't mention anything about the fuel. It might be a good idea to put some carb cleaner in the next couple of tankfulls. After 2 years of storage, there is bound to be some varnish in the carb.