Thread: Gear Shifting
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Easy Rider

Re: Gear Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fg1234567892000
Change to 2nd when you hit 12 mph, 3rd at 19, 4th at 25, 5th at 37. I just crank the throttle and at worst I drop to 55 mph.
While I don't remember the exact numbers, in general the 1-2 number in the book is high and all the rest are low.

I couldn't bear to go above 10 in stock form in 1st but you can certainly up those other numbers. If you pay attention to what the engine sounds like in 1st at about 10 mph and make the other shifts at about the same point you should be OK.
Just guessing: 10, 25, 35, 45. You can, if the need arrises, run it for short distances in 4th about 55 (STEEP hills, which you don't have in Iowa except maybe Dubuque).

If you can learn to anticipate those hills and crank the throttle a little ways BEFORE you actually hit the incline it should make a good difference; maybe dropping only 5 mph instead of 10.

I got pretty good at that during my ride through the mountains of Tennessee.......even with the 16T front. When I was learning to drive, we called that technique "6 cylinder driving".