View Single Post
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #30
dhgeyer

Re: Toying with new bike idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Btw: which bikes are best for backs going long distances?
Depends on whose back it is. I can't stay on any cruiser for more than an hour or two without pain in the middle of my back. Feet and arms forward puts all the weight on the seat. I've tried changing seats, highway pegs, driver backrests, pullback risers - nothing worked for me. The position is just wrong. And the pain is cumulative over however many days I tour. So, I need my feet under me, knees bent, my body leaned just a little forward, arms bent a little and carrying a small amount of weight but not too much. What they used to call a "standard" bike. Not too many of them made anymore. The R1200R is one, the Kawasaki Versys is a new one. I think the Vstroms would qualify, along with a couple of other Suzukis, including the new TU250. The Honda Nighthawk series were standards, now discontinued except for the 250, which is terrible in virtually every respect. Some sportbikes are very close to the standard configuration - like the Ninja 250 and 500s. They worked for me very well.

I've talked to a number of people who have the same problem with cruisers, and a lot of people who don't. You have to find what works for you. If the Strat is comfortable for you for hours at a time, "If it ain't bust, don't fix it.".