View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 12:22 AM   #17
alanmcorcoran

Re: Toy Hauler Loading, Towing and other $hit that can go wr

Thanks BB. You may have confused me with the other Alan (re experience). My "real" motorcycle experience is a little more than two years (and two bikes.) Previous to buying the Geezer in June '08, my two wheel experience was limited to bicycles (quite a bit) and mopeds (many years previous.) Two years on I have about 4500 miles on the Geezer and over 11,000 on the Strat (bought the Strat Jan '09.) Certainly more than a newb, but I still consider myself a relatively inexperienced rider. I did increase my skill and confidence a lot on my recent 2000 mile plus outing. With the Stratoliner, it's important to remain aware of one's limitations as its weight and handling are very unforgiving. It is especially tricky when operating at slow speeds, sharp inclines or slippery surfaces. (Two of which were responsible for my two minor drops early on...) I thought the Toy Hauler might be an unholy combination of all three, but I have to admit - looking at the closeups of the ramp it's equipped with, it only looks a little more challenging than pulling into my real garage.

I have some U-Haul experience and if you are talking about that aluminum plank that pulls out from under the truck bed, I'd never back the Strat down one of them. One slip in concentration and I could see (parts of) myself crushed between some shiny Art Deco chrome and the parking lot.

I'll be sure to file a report on how things go. Unless I do something really stupid.