View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 PM   #24
mrlmd1

Re: I bought a new bike!

Relax AZ - it was sort of a joke, bit I didn't add the smiley face, don't take it personally. I live with them, I have many friends like that. The word "redneck" has a certain connotation to it, partly affectionate, partly derogatory maybe. But usually no ATTGAT or obnoxious LOUD pipes goes along with what I was referring to. Like making fun of the Harleys or crotch rockets on the road. Doesn't mean they're bad. (Actually, in addition to the bad ass types, I've come across quite a few professional types - doctors, lawyers, accountants - maybe they are emulating the bad ass group). Was the word "towny" OK ? You know exactly the type I was referring to. A different choice of words, like "uninsured motorist" would have been more appropriate (?). To put it in other words, I don't think it's appropriate to be riding a motorcycle or car or boat or any other vehicle without insurance to protect somebody else from property damage that you inflict on them. If you don't want to insure your own possession (or your head) against damage, that's fine, (but also don't expect someone else to pay your hospital and future medical bills) but it's pretty disrespectful IMHO, not to reimburse someone else for what you did to them because you had no insurance and no money available. That's the jist of what I have to say, not necessarily dissing "rednecks" per se.
Rednecks are a Southern term, in the Northeast or the Southwest or the Northwest we all did the same kind of crap as kids in a different environment, whatever we could get away with without getting hurt, and they just called us something else. And I did all of those things that you did, just in NY and occasionally in Connecticutt. So again, relax, wrong words that upset you.
We all make fun of each other as friends and have to accept it as part of the game. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves.
BTW, What exactly does a redneck mean to you?
Peace.