View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
dhgeyer

Re: Another New Big Bike?

KTM makes such bikes, but they are not the biggest players, and I don't know much about them. Not popular around here, and I don't think I've ever seen one.

The big players in the "Dual Sport" or "Adventure" field are Kawasaki (KLR650) and BMW (G650GS, F650GS and F800GS). BMW also makes the R1200GS, but I think it's too big and heavy for real off road stuff. It makes a better sport touring bike. The lighter BMW models are made in China now. They had some trouble with the chain drives early on, but that seems to be straightened out now. The F650GS and F800GS are both 800cc vertical twins (despite the former's model name). The G650GS is a 650cc thumper with a counterbalancer, so it's not too bad. The KLR650 is also a 650 thumper, and has a reputation for really thumping, but it's a lot cheaper than a Bring More Wampum. The BMW's have available rugged luggage. Most KLR riders improvise with ammo cans and such.

Can't recommend BMW as a brand, as they don't treat customers, or dealers for that matter, very well. The dealers are some of the best around, but they can't always help if there's a "situation". Kawasaki is much better as a brand in that respect.

Any of these machines will get you out back of beyond and back, but not in anything like the comfort you are used to. Seats are high and fairly narrow, lots of ground clearance, skid plates standard or available, good range, semi aggressive tires, but everything needed to be street legal and safe.

The Suzuki DL650 "Weestrom", like WW has, can be modified to do what you want up to a point. It doesn't have as much ground clearance though, and isn't really made for the purpose. Probably more comfortable for long hauls than the KLR. The Beemers are not bad comfort wise, but none of these bikes are a Strat.

Login or Register to Remove Ads